Chapter Seventy-Three: Spectrum

Her body tingled with strange sensations. Hot prickling ran up her legs to her head numbing her brain. She could only hear the thump of her heart in her ears. She was aware she zoned out, and was too lazy to come back or blink. She was too fascinated with the curtains masking the grey haze outside.

Dabi pulled the old belt he found in a drawer tight around her upper arm until the skin around the band turned white. Miya barely made a reaction. The drug in her system was still taking its course. He leans over looking into her eyes. "Oi." he calls. Her pupils were dilated to full size. She doesn't react.

Dabi sighs to himself. He looks at his hands coated with her blood. "High-End." Dabi turns to the Nomu standing in the far corner of the room. "Do your job." he orders, taking a towel drying his hands. The High-End gurgled in response, standing on all fours, a bird's skull as its head and brain popping out the top. It saunters over sliding knuckles across the floor. Its long sloppy tongue hanging out of its beak dripped a trail of saliva as it approached.

Its bulging eyes turned over in its head looking at the gaping wound in Miya's arm.

The Nomu's tongue elongated out of its beak licking up the blood and sliding over the wound. Its tongue wrapped around her arm coating it in hot sticky slime before withdrawing.

Miya finally turns her head to look. A look of utter disgust on her face.

"You react to that, huh?" laughs Dabi, throwing down the bloodied towel. He puts his finger on his collar and tells the Doctor the nomu is ready to send back. A moment goes by and the nomu is taken away in black goop. Miya is still transfixed on her slobbery arm.

"Eww." she breathes out. She looks at Dabi across the room and points a finger to her arm. "What happened?" she slurs.

Dabi lifts his eyebrows. (Is she being serious?)

When Miya looks back down at her arm she screams in fright. "What the fuck, Dabi!" she cries, holding out her arm. The wound was pulling itself closed. Her skin reattaching and repairing the damage. She screams again jumping in her seat. The wound closed into a faded pink scar that turned into yellow bruising.

Dabi comes over telling Miya not to look as he wipes away the saliva with a new towel.

"It's only healing." he tells her.

She looks up with wide round eyes. "It's not supposed to!"

"Why are you yelling?"

She blinks. Miya looks back at her arm and gags. Dabi growled in frustration and forced her head the other way. "Keep it there." he demands, turning over the towel and scrapping it down her arm.

"Yes, sirrrr."

Dabi stops. He looks at the side of Miya's head which she keeps in the position that he put her in. She dares to turn a side eye and when she catches his glare she quickly turns away and becomes stiff. Totally busted. She giggles.

"You're tripping balls, Miya."

Her eyebrows come together in grief. "How do you trip over balls? Or are you talking about a bouncy ball?"

He sighed. "Yeah... A bouncy ball."

"Yeah... that makes sense. Where are we?"

Dabi unravels the bandage around her hand. The stab wound was healing nicely. He applies a fresh bandage. "A Commission safe house..."

Miya jumps up breaking away from Dabi. "What!? We're where?! Tell me you're fucking joking!" she starts to look around frantically. Miya's wide eyes turn to the four corners of the room. "They're watching us right now. We can't be here, we have to leave before they figure out where we are!" Miya goes to run past Dabi when he catches her shoulders and stops her. He looks dead into her dilated eyes, calmly, and snarls.