Chapter Fifty: Meridian

"I'm sure he'll come, we just have to wait." eleven year old Miya says, throwing punches into the air. Little spurts of Dark Matter flashed each time.

Thirteen year old Touya was sitting on a black cindered log. They were both waiting all day for Endeavour to come to Sekoto Hill. Touya expressed that he was going to show both of them what he can do. He dragged Miya all the way up the hill from where they could see his house down on the street below. He was excited for today as he was boasting about it all week and begging Mr and Mrs Kurotaiyo to let Miya come over.

"He's not coming." he replied, angrily.

"I would ask if you could come to the Commission, but I hate it there, so I don't want you to join."
"But I want to join!" he exclaimed. "I want to do what you're doing. It's not fair. You're being trained to be a Hero, and I'm just..."

"I can train you!" Miya suggested, excitedly.

He crossed his eyebrows. "No you can't."

"Why not? I won't be so hard as the teachers, I promise." she came up to him on the log, and showed him her newest cut. A small jagged line on the back of her right shoulder blade. It was just a large bandaid and stitches. "See? That's from my Quirk last week." she pulled up her shirt again. "I got seven stitches."

"Doesn't it hurt?" he asked.

Miya nodded, she was used to it. "It does hurt. And then the week before, the karate teacher kicked me so hard I blacked out... It's really hard. Out of the whole class they say I'm the weakest and I can't control my Quirk." her eyes dropped to the charred ground with her fingernail between her teeth. "I had an accident last year and four of my classmates didn't come back... they've been mean ever since."

"But, to me you're the strongest."

Miya shrugged. "I don't know. They won't let me go home either, and my dad says I have to stay there."

"Your dad's a Hero too, and he's training you to be a Hero too. My dad won't. All he cares about is Shoto."

"Isn't Shoto, like, five?"

"Yeah."

Miya picked up a charred black stick. It still smelt like smoke, and stained her hands black. "Well, I think your Quirk is cool." she snapped the charred stick over the ground and laughed when it shattered into pieces. Silent tears started to fall from Touya's eyes. Miya empathetically came up to him.

"You said you figured out your Quirk is connected to how you feel, right?" she says, nudging his shoulder.

Touya looked up with teary blue eyes. He nodded.

"So is mine, sorta. My dad says that's from my Mommy, because whenever she gets really happy or sad, little orbs come from her. They look like fireflies. The same happens when I get really sad or angry, my Quirk gets stronger. But I still have to concentrate on visualising it, the teacher said. And I still have to move to make it. I still don't really get how it works, but it's like that."

Miya started to run in circles and jumped over the burnt mannequins Touya set up for practice. "See?" she waved her arm and a small wave of blackness crashed into the tree. The trunk twisted, and the char broke away in crackles. The tree toppled over with loud cracks until it hit the ground.

"Oops. I didn't mean that."

Touya looked on with a wide mouth.

"I still can't control it." she confessed, coming over to Touya with her head bowed. She fiddled with her fingers. Touya looked down with his head between his knees and tears rolled down his cheeks. Miya smiled, and ruffled his white hair.