Chapter Fifty - Nine: Prograde Orbit

Miya stood on Yokohama docks staring at the black rippling water that lapped at the edge of the dock. It spoiled and gently crashed, enticing her to put her feet into the water. In her mind, there was a monster lurking beneath the dark waves waiting to drag her to the crushing depths of the ocean. The lights from Yokohama City around them refracted in the water, and the screams of the people of the Ferris wheel across the docks bounced off the water as an echo.

Miya was staring at the purple light reflecting in the water from her bright glowing suit; the left side splattered with blood.

Then her phone vibrated in her boot.

She collected the device into her right hand, free of blood, and was surprised to see HAWKS on the cracked screen. A smile forced its way to her face and she turned the phone for Dabi to see. "Well, well." she said.

"What the hell does he want?" spat Dabi.

Miya opened the message and read, "Hey, I know it's been a while, but, you were right. We really need to talk. It's important." and she looked at Dabi, who was looking at the phone sideways.

"Right about what?" he asked.

Miya shrugged. "I'll ask him." and she typed away on the screen using her one hand. It was mere seconds later when Hawks replied, and she said out loud. "Right about everything. The Commission... the system... everything. It was a bad day today on patrol and IDK something clicked I guess. I just really need to talk to you, Miya. I'm desperate."

"Desperate to fuck you."

Miya nudged Dabi. "Come on." she says to him. "Should we hear him out? We were both raised in the same Program, so maybe he's telling the truth and has finally had enough. Like me?"

"How do you know he's telling the truth?"

"I don't." Miya was replying back to Hawks, and read his reply. "I was born to fly. I don't belong in a cage. I want to be free of the Commission, and I've been thinking about what you said to me before you went rogue and I agree with you. Miya, I want out. I want a better society for Heroes and kids like us, and I can't do it in the position I'm in even though I'm trying. The Commission just doesn't want to listen to what I have to say. I'll have a better chance doing what you're doing."

Miya chuckled and replied back. 'Better as a Villain, you mean? Hawks, this isn't what you really want, trust me. What are you really up to?'

'I'm not up to anything, I'll swear it on the past of us kids.'

'You want to join the League?'

'Yeah, I think that's what I'm trying to say... I want to change the system for the better. I want liberation. Like you said before.'

'I can't tell if this is some joke you're playing, Hawks, I'm not falling for it.'

'PLEASE I'M TELLING THE TRUTH. I hate them, I want out. I've had enough and that's the truth. Please, you have to believe me.'

'Being a Hero is all you ever cared about.'

'Not anymore.'

Miya met Dabi's gaze, and he cocked an eyebrow. "This might be just purely for my own entertainment, But let's say we decide to hear him out?"

"I don't know, Dabi." sighed Miya, staring at the screen illuminating their faces. "I don't know if he's being genuine, or if the Commission is making him to this for whatever reason, to infiltrate us. Remember, you came to me. Hawks is coming to us. It's 50/50."