Chapter Sixty-Nine: Penumbra

Morning came around at 1pm the next day. They had dinner for breakfast in comfortable silence, just enjoying the company and relaxation the empty house gave them - before running a bath. If they stayed inside it would feel like a holiday on some beach somewhere in the world. Fiji maybe? With the bright soaring sun and clear blue skies and crashing waves... no not the waves. Avoid the water at all costs. Okay, maybe not the beach, but the snow... no Miya hates the cold.

Dabi would do alright in the cold. It keeps his body cool and soothes his burns.

Miya dripped water from her left hand over to her wounded hand and hissed when the water stung. She couldn't clench her fingers, so she bowed her head and bit her lip over the edge of the bathtub. Dabi came forward slightly, his legs on either side of Miya, and he took her hand to examine it under the light above them.

The wound was festering purple and black blisters and dried blood. There was a faint smell of burnt flesh and sweet iron coming from the wound. It was painful to look at.

She got no sleep last night due to the pain it was causing her... and because of other reasons too.

Miya was tired, hungry, grumpy, and in pain. It wasn't a good mixture.

"I tried calling Giran, the bastard won't pick up." informs Dabi. His hair was coated in fresh hair dye. Black, sleek and shiny. For fun, Miya styled it into a mow-hawk. It didn't keep its shape for very long.

"Giran is in god knows where, how is he going to help up here in Shiga Prefecture?"

"Maybe he knows someone in Shiga."

"Hawks is closer."

Dabi scoffed and sat back in the tub. The water splashed and moved with his movements and tumbled over the the edge of the tub, and lapped up Miya's back. She gave him a side eye. "We are not relying on him."

Miya chuckled, running her other hand though wet blonde hair. "We're not relying on him." she flailed her good hand. "Just ask him for some fucking supplies. He can be here in under an hour. He can fly at 200mph!"

"You love him so much then go and fuck him too."

Dabi clenched his jaw, and turned his eyes away from Miya. He was silent for a moment; thinking. Miya looked away from him to stare at her wounded hand. They fell into awkward silence. Both too afraid to even move. Miya was staring at her hand for so long she thought she could see it throbbing like a heartbeat. She blinked it away and finally moved to lay against Dabi's chest, mindful of the staples.

He looked at the top of her head and to her right hand resting on his shoulder to be kept out of the water. He admired the way her body curved in the water like a mermaid resting on the rocks in the sun, or a terrifying sea creature curled at the bottom of the ocean waiting for its next victim. Toned, fit, and scarred. Each one with a different story to tell and she would often tell him when they laid together. He knew all the stories and how they happened. Most of them where simply due to her own Quirk, and others had more horrifying meanings behind them. Things that made him sick to the stomach.

"Sorry."

His voice was a soft rumble in his chest vibrating to her ear. What he said hurt, that wasn't a lie. But she wasn't going to show it even if she had tears in her eyes while she laid on his chest. She replied with a grunt.

They finished their bath in silence. Miya helped wash the black hair dye out of his hair and he helped bandage her hand in silence. They dressed in silence, and prepared an early dinner in silence. The only time they would speak was when Miya would ask for him to pass her something. They ate in silence at the futon table and Dabi even thanked her for the meal which came as a surprise.