Chapter Seven: Blueshift

A few nights passed, Miya left the apartment complex the Commission provided for her, and closed the community gate behind her, and sauntered up the sidewalk of small apartment buildings mingled with houses. Her bleached yellow hair sat on her shoulders bouncing with each step, with hands comfortable in her jumper pockets. She was heading for the main road, intending to buy takeaway food. Her grumbling stomach was demanding it be fed.

Miya gazed up at the stars in the sky, or the ones that she could see, wondering what it would be like to be up there looking down at Earth, and the minuscule size that where humans. It was such a wide vast universe and she was stuck here on this planet when instead she could be exploring the stars.

If she wasn't a Hero then maybe she would be an explorer of the stars.

Miya turned onto the next street that would take her to the main road, when a second pair of footsteps fell behind her. Her eyebrows came together in clear confusion. Miya stopped in the middle of the footpath looking ahead, when the second pair of footsteps stopped.

(Am I hearing things?)

Miya turned her body looking back at the dark street behind. Under a light post was a tall man in a fancy suit with a body made from purple mist with glowing yellow eyes and a metal protector around his neck. He was standing on the corner of the street, just staring at her.

Miya's heart leaped into her throat, and suddenly the sounds around her became loud. The chirping of crickets, the sound of someone's tv, and the distant sound of cars driving. Her eyes were only focused on that mysterious man at the corner of the street. Was he looking at her? Miya looked the other way wondering if there was someone else. Why is he looking at her?

Not wanting to stick around and find out, Miya forced her feet the other way. The main road was only on top of the hill. A quick pace would get her there quickly. But there was another figure standing between she and the main road.

He was also tall, with a lean figure and shaggy clothes, spiked black hair falling over his forehead in uneven lengths. What struck her was the purple marking on the lower half of his face, under his eyes, and peaking from the cuffs of his flimsy jacket, with a torn high collar.

Miya's heart was now thumping in her ears. "What do you want?" she called out unbothered, wishing she wore her suit.

"We're with the League of Villains." a girls voice says. Miya turned in search of the extra voice. To her right, across the street, was a blonde school girl with messy buns and knife in hand. The League of Villains? Why are they here? They were the ones behind the U.S.J incident, and the Nomu attacks in Hosu; the same night Stain was arrested.

Now they had Stardust surrounded.

"I'm sorry, the League of who?" she says stifling a laugh. The name sounded cheesy. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What the hell do you want? I have no money."

"We're not here to rob you." the man with a patched face and shaggy clothes says, coming close enough that Miya could see the triple nostril piercing in his nose, and the crude staples holding the purple skin grafts to his body. "We're here for you." he spoke with a gruff voice that rumbled through the ground and into the soles of Miya's shoes. "... Stardust." her name rolls of his tongue as if he's known her forever.

Miya's hands came out of her pockets, tired eyes trailing up and down his lean physic. "You are nasty looking."

"You look terrible yourself." the patched man stopped under the street light just before Miya. She narrowed her eyes, finding his features familiar, yet completely different. It was the eyes. Those low lidded eyes.