Even when Shen Nuo got framed for Minghe's death, Li Yan tried to keep him alive in the prisons at the dungeons because it was the only choice. That was the only place that was prohibited to any except the Emperor. He prisoned him there because he did not want Shen Nuo to die. If Shen Nuo was to be prisoned in the Cold Palace or somewhere else, he would have long died.

But Shen Nuo never knew. He did not know that was the only way he can be alive... He only hated Li Yan...

Back then when Shen Nuo was framed for Minghe's assassination, Li Yan already knew it wasn't his doing. But there was no proof for him to prove it. The entire Court went against Shen Nuo and the General's Manor. He was not only a husband. He was the ruler of a state. He couldn't give priority to his feelings when his entire Court was against him.

Li Yan back then, felt how miserable he himself was. He released his imperial decree asking for Shen Nuo to be prisoned. He found excuses and dragged Shen Nuo's life forcefully for ten years long. Killing the Crown Prince of a state was the most unforgivable crime that ever existed in Li Yang. But still he protected Shen Nuo just like that.

And amid that, he still did not want to let Shen Nuo go for killing his parents and sister. His former Empress who was the biological mother of Minghe was also killed because of Shen Nuo. Wasn't it the perfect time for revenge? But Li Yan couldn't no matter how hard he tried.

He loved Shen Nuo. He also hated Shen Nuo. He was obsessed with Shen Nuo. He was also mad at him. He did not know how to manage his emotions at all.

He was the Emperor but still so what? He was also human. He also felt happiness and sorrow. He also had blood running through him. He also breathed like other did. Was his heart made of stones? How could not he feel pain when he knew his parents were killed? But he was not muddle headed.

He knew what was happening next. Since the frame felled onto Shen Nuo, he knew the punishment would next fall onto Shen Nuo's family. Li Yan's parents died so Li Yan knew how painful it was. He didn't want Shen Nuo to go through the same pain though they were the reason for their death.

So Li Yan immediately ordered his secret agents to move the General's family to a safer spot in secret.

Then he ordered to the public to burn the General's Manor thinking it was empty. That was the idea of the entire Court according to the customs and he just implemented it. But he really did not know what went wrong. For some reason when he burned the Manor, the family was still there... They all died...

Li Yan was shocked. When Shen Nuo heard the news, his mentality collapsed completely. From that day onwards Shen Nuo became a lunatic. There wasn't a single day that he was in his senses. And rarely when he was, he would stare out of the high window and silent cry.

Li Yan watched Shen Nuo's health deteriorate day by day and could do nothing. The shock was too much for Li Yan. How many people more were going to die? He did not know.

There were numerous times he had wanted to flee with Shen Nuo and live a contented ordinary life. But he was unfortunate enough to be the Emperor. He was born to bear the burdens. Why was it only him when there were millions of ordinary people in the world?

At times he thought he was the most unlucky person in this world. He did not know what sins he had committed to claim the throne. Who said the throne is glorious and majestic? It was only a double edged lance. Definitely not something with which you can recklessly play. The word Emperor was written with blood. The one who bears the crown will have to bear the weight of it too.