Lams: Kindergarten

This was a collab from a while ago

John walked into his classroom on the first day of school, surprised to see that all the spots were full except one next to a boy with long-ish hair. He was scribbling furiously in a notebook but John was sure he didn't know how to write. It was the first day of Kindergarten!

John takes his seat by Alex, shocked to see that he is actually writing. John extends his grimmy, sticky, already colored on hand, to Alex. Alex shakes his hand and says hello. John responds back hello, and then meets Hercules and Lafayette. They all sit down at the table and start coloring the page that's at the table. 

"John, what's your favorite animal?" Alex asks. He has a blank sheet of paper and multiple colored crayons. "Ummmm turtle!" John shouts and starts drawing a turtle on his own page while Alex does the same.
“Mines a Lion,” Alex replies. He draws a lion on the back of his paper. John has a bit of a lisp so when he says Alex it sounds more like Alec. The gang as some people would call them finishes their paper and waits for instructions on what to do next from their teacher. 

"Alright class, you can put your drawings and crayons away. We're going to have some quiet reading time." The teacher says and shows them where the class library is. All the best kids books are there. Robert Munch, Dr. Seuss, etc.

While everyone else is reading semi easy books like Dr. Seuss, Alex is reading chapter books like the magic treehouse. John seems so amused by Alex. John doesn’t like reading and starts to chat with Hercules. This of course frustrates Alex, because he really cares about his education. He puts that behind himself and starts joining in with John and the boys wanting some fun. That was until Mr. Washington decides to say something.

"Boys, quiet down. This is quiet reading time." Mr. Washington says strictly. The three snap their mouths closed quickly and go back to "reading". John and Herc were just looking at the pictures while Alex actually was reading his book. Washington just sighed and went back to whatever he was doing.

The boys finally get on task, and start doing what Mr.Washington asked of them. Mr.Washington was already starting to regret putting all 4 boys of these boys in the same class. Meanwhile Alex and John were not. They were loving each other and their company. They felt as if they finally had some friends and they sure did. They had someone they could create trouble with!

"Alex can I show you how to draw a turtle?" John asks after he finished his book. Alex sighs over dramatically and puts his book down. John frowns. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to interrupt your book- I just thought you would want to learn to draw a turtle…" he mumbles and looks down. Alex goes over and hug him. "Don't be sad. I'm sorry I made you feel sad."

“Okay so first you should draw a circle,” John says. Alex daws the circle and you can see the smile on John's face. Just because of his smile, Alex is smiling. They spend the time they’re supposed to be reading by drawing. Alex then shows John how to draw a lion, but apparently John can not do it right.  Alex takes John's hand and guides it to draw a lion, making John's heart flutter, even though they’re so young. 

"Show me how to draw more!!" John says excitedly, probably a bit too loud. Washington didn't notice though. He was too busy trying to help a kid named James with a nosebleed. Alex smiles and held John's hand, showing him how to draw a variety of animals. Tigers, and lions, and bears, and so much more! John loved it! He loved spending time with Alex!

Throughout the day the boys continued to get into trouble together. They even got specifically yelled at because they started chucking food at each other. Let's just say Mr.Washington was not too impressed. Although he could definitely see how much fun the boys were having. When he first met Alexander in the summer on visitors night, he was so afraid Alex wouldn't have any friends. But as it seems, he’s got plenty. The boys got their books and their stuff to get home. This made John especially sad. He said he couldn't survive the night without Alex. But the boys said goodbye and got on the bus, ready for the next day.