Hamliza: Detective

AU: 1904
TW: death, murder, blood, stabbing, hickey (?), cheating (some mention of touching other women)
Extra: Eliza and Peggy aren't sisters in this. Eliza's last name is her late husbands and her maiden name was her mothers.

Narrator POV:

Eliza ran for the telephone and told the operator to direct her to the station house nearest to her mansion. Constables were outside within minutes.

"What seems to be the problem?" Detective Hamilton asked one of the constables, Constable Laurens. They had been called to a mansion by a panicked woman about a murder.

"Well, sir, the man upstairs seems to have died from severe stab wounds. Multiple to the chest and stomach." The constable explained and showed the detective to the body.

Hamilton sighed. "Call for Doctor Schuyler." He said and made his way down to the parlor where he saw a woman sobbing into a handkerchief. He assumed this was the woman who called the station house.

"Are you the next of kin?" Detective Hamilton asked as he stepped into the room. The woman looked up and nodded.

"I am- was- his wife. Eliza Pasquale." She said, her nose still a bit stuffed from how much she had been crying. She reached her hand out to him (for a handshake) but pulled back when she noticed the blood on it.

Detective Hamilton noticed it too, but he just kept a mental note of it instead of taking her to the station right away. "Mrs. Pasquale, did your husband have any enemies? Anyone with motive to kill him?" He asked.

"He had his fair share of people who disliked him but none would want to murder him. He was tough to get along with, its true, but no one hated him enough." Eliza said a d blew her nose again.

Hamilton nodded and sighed. "How did, I assume, your husbands blood get all over your dress and hands?" He asked.

Eliza frowned. "I went to nursing school before I married. When I found him, I ran over to see if he was alive... although it seems silly now that I think about it." She said and looked down at her hands in her lap.

Hanilton nodded. "And where were you before you found him?" He asked. Eliza looked fidgety.

"T-the kitchen of course." She squeaked. Hamilton didn't believe her for one second. "Mrs. Pasquale, did you have any company over?" He asked.

"No." She said, losing the squeak. Hamilton took a step forward and went over to a small table near the Chesterfield she was on. He grabbed a small cloth from his pocket and picked up one of the two glasses that were on the table.

"Please do not lie to me, Mrs. Pasquale. Wouldn't want you to have a rope around your neck, now." He said and gave both glasses to another Constable to take as evidence. "Now, where were you really within the past 2 hours?"

Eliza stayed quiet for a few seconds before speaking in a soft tone. "I was at the doctors. He told me I am with child but now I have no one to help me with that. I didn't want to tell you because you would think little of me." She answered.

"It doesn't change how I see you, but why would you lie about where you were if it proved you didn't kill Mr. Pasquale." He asked her. Eliza just shook her head. She didn't want to answer.

"Detective!" Doctor Schuyler called from the top of the staircase. "I found something!" Hamilton left Eliza in the parlor. He went up the stairs to the office where Stephen Pasquales body laid dead.

"What have you, Doctor?" The detective asked. Dr. Schuyler crouched near the body and sighed.

"Body temperature says he died roughly 2 hours ago. Around 4pm. I think it's obvious how he died but I'll determine that once I complete the postmortem. But, I did notice this." Dr. Schuyler said and moved the mans shirt collar a bit, revealing a red-purple mark on his neck.

Hamilton nodded. "A hickey? Probably from his wife but she doesn't seem like the sort. I'll ask her about it at the station." He said and went back down to the parlor.

"Constables, please bring Mrs. Pasquale to the station. I have some questions for her. But be nice, will you?" He instructed and got in his carriage back to the station house.

...

"Mrs. Pasquale, where were you roughly 2 hours ago?"

"I already told you, I was at the doctors."

"And where was your husband when you got back?"

"In his study- I found him when I went to bring him his supper."

"Do you drink at all?"

"No. Never. Why is this important?"

"Did your husband ever have female company?"

Eliza stayed silent. She knew what her husband did in his spare time and it aggravated her.

"Mrs. Pasquale, did you kill your husband?" Hamilton asked in a quieter tone.

Eliza teared up. "He- he knew I would be home and yet.. he still brought her to our home. I couldn't bare the thought of him touching that awful woman any more. When I got home, he was there, on his desk with her and I couldn't bare it. I grabbed the letter opener from the mantel and- and killed him! I tried to get her too but she escaped."

Hamilton sighed. "I'm sorry Mrs. Pasquale, you're under arrest for the murder of Steven Pasquale." He said and led her to the cells.

...

He talked to her over her last few days. And honestly, they grew close. Hamilton took a liking to her, despite her being a Murderer. But he understood. The woman he was courting oftenly slept with other men. He broke off the courtship and now, he wanted to court Ms. Van Rensselear.

If only she wasn't to be hanged in a few days....

Let's just say, the day of the hanging was canceled due to... a slight change in plans. Hamilton helped Eliza escape, costing him his job but he didn't care. They ran away together, somewhere where the law couldn't catch them.

Hamilton raised Elizas child as his own as they traveled across the country and eventually traveled to Europe as a family. They tracked through England and France. Eliza bought a camera and captured each special moment. They even developed the film themselves to save money so they would travel more.

They traveled nearly across the whole world before Eliza became sick while expecting her second child. Neither of them made it.

The End