Hamilton: "I Could Have Helped"

TW: death, blood
A/N: this is like really short and sad I guess... I'm not entirely sure what's sad anymore. I'm broken

AU: historical

3rd Person

Alex was sat in his room, alone. Washington gave him time off to recover after a traumatic battle. The war wasn't over so he would be back soon enough unless he was physically unable.

Alex sat at his trunk and pulled out a picture of all the soldiers together. He began to tear up as a few faces caught his eye. Many soldiers had died in battle and he hated himself for not helping.

Eliza came into the room and sat with him, which was rather difficult with her swollen stomach but she made it work. "What's wrong, sweetheart-?" She whispered to her husband and held his hand.

"I was so awful, Betsey... it was all my fault- I'm an awful man..." he responded and looked at his wife, genuinely distraught. She didn't believe a word he said.

"How do you mean?" She asked quietly. He was the most gentle, loving and kind man she knew. How could he be awful?

"When we were in battle... we were retreating... going back to camp... I came across another soldier- he was bleeding heavily... but still conscious... begging me to get him a nurse... or just anyone... he begged for me to help him... I could have helped him, Betsey... but he wouldn't have made it anyway... I just... I walked away- it was so wrong!"

Eliza held her breath as he told her the story. Every story he told her about the war made her heart ache. Hearing this made it shatter. Her own husband let an innocent man die...

"Oh Alexander-" she started but she couldn't find words to finish. He was right. It was truly awful. "Do you know his name?" She whispered.

He nodded. "David... David Jacobs..." he responded. "Washington does a headcount every night and morning. He knew David was gone... they found his body... he died from his injuries-" he wanted to continue to explain what had happened but he could see the terror in his wife's face.

"Betsey- I'm so sorry I've told you this-" he said quickly and hugged his wife. She was shaken up by the disturbing and gory story. She attempted to stand up and he helped her.

"I think I'm going to go to the parlor... I'm sorry I can't be of my help, my love but I don't know if i can bare to hear the end of this story..." she apologized. Alex simply nodded and let her go.

He finished unpacking and went to his office, writing everything that had happened down and mailed them to Washington. He had to know what had happened. He didn't mind if he got suspended or worse. The truth had to be known.