Hamilton: Sickness

TW: sick child, death (not of child)
Disclaimer: I'm tired and didn't know where I was going with this so it sucks- also modern time

Narrator POV:

Eliza was woken up in the middle of the night to a small hand tapping her arm. "Ms. Eliza.." a small voice whined. She opened her eyes and smiled a bit. "Riley? Why are you awake?" She asked and sat up a bit.

"Jordan keeps coughing... I can't sleep..." the young girl frowned and tugged on Eliza's hand. "I think she might be sick."
Eliza was up and turned on the hall lights as she followed Riley to the younger girls room at the end of the hall.

"Jordan? Honey?" Eliza whispered and went to her bedside. The poor girl was sitting up, coughing violently and drenched in a cold sweat. Eliza felt her forehead and sighed. She definitely had a fever and it would not be an easy one. She turned back to Riley who was standing behind her.

"Go wake up Anna and Fiona, ok? They should be in their rooms." Eliza instructed and Riley went on to wake them up. Eliza got a wet cloth and placed it on Jordan's forehead before turning on the humidifier and giving her some blankets.

Anna and Fiona came in and helped move Jordan to Anna's room so the rest of the girls could sleep peacefully. "Can you get the tylonal, Anna? Fiona please call a doctor just incase." Eliza told them and did whatever she could to make sure Jordan could get better and hopefully wouldn't spread her sickness to the rest of the kids.

In the morning, Eliza left the rest of the staff in charge of the orphanage while she took Jordan to the hospital. She hadn't gotten better through the night and Eliza was getting worried. Her son, AJ, had gotten this sick before bit that was a long time ago. AJ was nearing 28 years old now and he had gotten sick when he was 6.

Anna, Fiona, and some of the male staff members took care of their respective groups. Anna was with the younger girls, Fiona with the older ones, James(Eliza's other son) was with the younger boys while Andrew was with the older ones. They each distracted their groups while Eliza was away. None of them knew exactly what to do since Eliza always made a schedual in the morning instead of days before.

Jordan spent 3 days in the hospital. Anna stayed with her mostly while Eliza took over the younger girls group. She somehow convinced Eliza to leave the hospital because the orphanage needed her there. And Anna was more than willing to spend days in the Hospital with Jordan.

"Ms. Eliza! When will my sister come back?" A little boy asked her, pulling on her skirt to get her attention. Eliza picked him up and sighed. "Soon, Tony. She will be back soon." She tried to convince herself too. She was always terrified when children got sick and it worried her that she would lose another child in her care.

After losing her husband Alexander, Philip, Angie, Holly and multiple unborn children, she never wanted to go through the pain of losing another child. So of course the logical thing to do was surround herself with children from unsafe environments who have weak immune systems or were already sick. She made sure the building was cleaned 4 times a week and had a shower schedual. No one had gotten sick for a long time until now.

"Mom, everyone in my group is accounted for except this little guy who escaped." James laughed and took Tony from his moms arms. He didn't see the grieved look on her face as she slowly walked back inside.

Hours passed, Jordan was brought back, but no one had seen Eliza. James worried the most and everyone helped to look everywhere for her. James opened her bedroom door and saw her laying in bed, looking half dead.

"Mom! What happened???" He rushed to her side and held her hand. "It's fine, James. I'm just tired." She laughed weakly and James realized that something must have been going on for a while and she never told anyone. "Want me to get you some blankets?" He asked and she nodded. He left to get her some but she was gone by the time he got back.