Chapter Ninety-Four

Start from the beginning

"Okay," he said to her, nodding. "Just be careful, don't go too far."

Carmen nodded, assuring Ronin, and stepped away to make the call.

* * *

James slammed on the brakes and bolted out of the car in a frenzied rush.

After the unfortunate confrontation with the old man, James knew there was no point in denying what happened. The old man knew, and as stubborn as he was, he was going to make this harder for James this time. There was no choice but to go underground for now. Staying would only put his life at risk of being caught by law enforcement.

And that, he couldn't allow to happen.

A decade ago, he had been convicted when a man almost died at his hands. Back then, his brother had bailed him out, almost convincing their father that James could change. But little did Eddie know that old habits die hard. The more James tried to stay away from troubles, the sooner they found him.

When the people he owed money came to know that he was a rich bastard and not some trash of the streets, they softened their approach and offered him to work with them. James needed money. Eddie and the old man might have agreed to help him but when it came to money, they couldn't trust him an inch. They made him grovel for a few grand just because they could.

Huh. Some brother Eddie was. Always preaching about being a better man.

Well, he wasn't a better man. He could never be.

Fed up with the lack of trust and the constant reminders of his past mistakes, James had reached a breaking point. The confrontation with the old man only fueled his frustration. Now, with law enforcement likely on his tail, he knew he had to disappear.

Spotting the first guard outside the warehouse, he barked at him, nearly spitting, "Round up everyone and get ready to get the hell outta here. Cops might crash the damn party any minute. Thirty minutes—move your asses. Now!"

The guard, wide-eyed and startled, nodded vigorously and scrambled to relay the urgent message. James didn't wait for any acknowledgement; he darted into the warehouse, weaving through the hustle and bustle of more guards and men who worked for him.

He was sweating by the time he reached his office on the upper floor. He threw the doors open, only to find a woman bent over the desk while Eric fucked her senseless.

"Fuck me! Seriously?" James snorted in disbelief at the compromising scene in his office but quickly shook it off. He rushed over to the cabinet on the right, his mind focused on urgent matters. Pulling it open, he grabbed a bag and began stuffing it with cash.

Eric, caught off guard, stumbled away from the woman. "What the hell? Could you knock?"

"No time for that," James continued stuffing the bag, his movements hurried. "Cops might be on their way. We need to clear out of here, and fast."

"What? What the hell are you talking about?" Eric pulled up his pants, grabbing his shirt next and buttoning it up. "Why would cops be here?"

James, who already seemed to be on edge, couldn't hold his temper down. He spun on his heels and glared. "Because the fucking old man knows we're up to some shady shit. And if I know him any better, he's probably singing to the cops right now. Is that enough for your slow ass to finally grasp the urgency here? Or do you need me to spell it out in crayon for you, further slowing us down?"

Eric had more questions, but he could also tell that now was not the time.

He nodded, understanding, and pulled the drawers off the desk, emptying them into the bag. There were papers, files, and some drug samples that they couldn't leave behind. "We'll need to clean this office off her fingerprints. Nothing could trace this back to us."

But James had already thought this out. His eyes flashed with something dark before he said. "Don't worry, I know exactly what to do."

A/N: What do you think James has in mind? :(