Chapter Eighty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Carmen," Diana said after a while, shaking her head. "You don't understand. It's not easy for me either. But the least I can tell you is that I didn't have any other choice. If I had stayed, I would have put your and Roger's life in danger. And I could never do that. Not to you or your dad—the people I love the most."

Carmen wanted to think that what Diana was implying was true. There was no way she was going to take anything the older woman said at face value without a good reason or evidence. If there was one thing she had learned from her past, it's to never blindly trust anyone's words.

After all, betrayal often comes from the people one trusts the most. Wasn't that right?

"You left without a word, without any explanation." Carmen spoke, glad that her voice didn't wave with the emotions roaring inside her. "Dad suffered, and I suffered. And now, after all this time, you show up with this vague story about putting our lives in danger? Do you really expect me to believe that?"

Diana looked down, avoiding Carmen's gaze. "I understand why you would feel that way. I do. But you need to know the truth. There are things I couldn't tell you back then, things that were too dangerous..." She trailed off, closing her eyes and sighing deeply. There was no doubt; she looked miserable, as if she were quickly running out of options. But Diana pulled herself together soon enough and squared her shoulders, as if she had decided to not run from what was right anymore.

Diana took a deep breath, finally lifted her gaze and met with Carmen's frown. "I know it's hard to believe, Carrie. But there are people who would stop at nothing to get what they want. The people I'm talking about are not your run-of-the-mill criminals but an organization of sophisticated businessmen and scientists. They are ruthless and unreasonable. And let's just say that I so happen to have something that they want."

Carmen's frown deepened, skepticism etched on her face. "What are you talking about?" What organization? And what do they want? She wanted to ask but bit down on her tongue before she could show too much regard. It all still felt like a lie and she would hate to jump to any conclusion.

Diana hesitated, her eyes darting away momentarily. "It's complicated, Carrie. I can't tell you everything." But before Carmen could retort, she continued. "If I told you anything at all, it could potentially put your life in danger too. The only reason I came here is to tell you that I never abandoned you. It's just that... I didn't have any other choice. I left because that was the only way to keep those people from coming after you and your dad," her voice softened as emotions slipped into her eyes. "I love you so much, Carrie. You're my only daughter. My baby. I did whatever I could to protect you, even if, for that to happen, I had to leave you."

An intake of sharp breath, and Carmen wondered how much of what her mother said was true. Could she really believe her? How could she be sure that she wasn't being fed another set of lies? Where was the proof? The evidence or anything that implied that Diana was telling the truth?

"Even if I believe you," Carmen stated. "That doesn't explain why you would join hands with someone like Simon Walsh." How could she? Did she not know what he did to her? How he tried to force her into becoming one of his possessions?

However, this time, Diana was quick to jump to an explanation. "I didn't know what happened until it was too late. Like I said, I have been trying to hide from some very powerful people. And Mr. Walsh..." she paused, correcting herself. "Simon's father. He was supposed to help me stay hidden. And he did for a very long time. But then, he passed away and the whole business went to his son. Simon didn't know about my deal with his father until I met him a few weeks ago. We talked, and he agreed to continue what his father started. He's just helping me stay safe and hidden until I can find a way out of this. It's obvious that I can't keep running forever. It has to stop, and to do that, I have to make some difficult choices."

"What choices?" Carmen asked, before she could get a hold of herself. "What are you going to do?" She was suddenly filled with worry, not liking the way her mother sounded. It coiled a knot of concern deep in her gut, and forced her to think that what the older woman had in mind couldn't be any good.

Diana took another deep breath and smiled wryly. "I'm going to turn myself in. It's the only way I can think of to end this madness."

"But you said they are dangerous. What if they..."

"That's my burden to bear," Diana cut her off, smiling gently and leaning forward to hold Carmen's hands, drawing soothing circles on the back of her hands. "I just wanted to see you one last time and let you know that you were never abandoned. I don't want you to go through life thinking your mom didn't love you. Because I do. I love you so very much. I just never had the chance to show you, and that's my fault. I failed at the one thing no woman is supposed to be bad at." Tears welled in her eyes, streaming down quickly. She cupped Carmen's face, murmuring softly. "I'm so sorry for what I've put you through, my dear. I don't expect you to forgive me, but just know that I'm sorry. I really am."

A/n: Do you think her mother is telling the truth?