Chapter Eighty Six

Start from the beginning

She wondered if Ronin was still asleep...

That had to be the only logical reason for him to neither show up for breakfast nor answer the door. Right?

Carmen took a deep breath, deciding to give it one more try.

She knocked a little louder this time, hoping to rouse Ronin from his slumber.

Again, there was no response.

Worry crept into her thoughts. What if something happened to him? What if he was sick? The concern propelled her to push the door gently, finding it slightly ajar. Carmen hesitated but then pushed it open just enough to peek inside.

The room was brightly lit, with curtains pulled open and bright sun rays streaming through the window. His bed was made and there seemed to be some stack of papers on his nightstand.

Did that mean he had worked all night? Did he even get any sleep?

All of a sudden, Carmen was flooded with guilt. She should have known this would happen. She should have known he didn't mean it when he said it wasn't a big deal. Turned out it was a big deal. And how could it not, right? How could she be so stupid to think what happened between them last night was anything but normal?

They needed to talk. That's it. That was the only way to sort this mess out. If not, she would very much—and very soon—would lose her mind.

As if her prayers were answered, Ronin appeared from a door which she hoped was a bathroom.

Now, well...this was the situation a little awkward to explain.

It didn't help that he was only wearing a towel around his waist, and the fact that his very sturdy body—those muscles and abs and all—were on full display. Not to forget those broad shoulders which looked powerful enough to bench press a car, or those forearms she couldn't stop gawking at. Knowing she had been shamelessly staring, she quickly averted her gaze, feeling her cheeks heat up.

"Uh, sorry," she stammered, her eyes fixed on a random spot on the wall. "I didn't mean to barge in or anything. I just... I wanted to see if you were okay. But of course, you look more than okay. You know what? I should come later."

Almost ready to skip out of the room, Carmen stopped when she heard her name being called out. "Hold on a sec."

He chuckled, a playful glint in his eyes as he held up one hand to stop her retreat. "No need to run off so quickly. You're already here, and honestly, I don't mind the company."

He walked closer, towel slung low on his hips, seemingly unaffected by his half-naked state until he stood right behind her. "You came to see if I'm okay. Don't you wanna make sure that I am?"

Carmen hesitated, feeling the heat rising in her cheeks. She turned to face him, avoiding direct eye contact.

"I mean, yeah, of course. I just... you know, wanted to check in. I didn't mean to intrude or anything," she mumbled, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. "I just...wanted to, I guess. This is so...you know...I mean. Actually, I should really come later. You seem busy anyway."

"Stay," he grabbed her arm and pulled her to him, looking smug, the tiny droplets of water still clung to his glistening skin. "I'm not busy."

Feeling like she would burst all the way, her whole face burning, Carmen nodded a few too many times. "Uh...but...I...you..."

"What?" He pressed her gently against the wall, hovering over her frame while breathing too close for comfort. "You're acting as if you haven't seen me already. Did you forget about last night?" He put his hands on either side of her face, leaning down. "Do I need to remind you?"