Chapter 40

As we traverse the Obsidian Fieldlands en route to Lake Verity to meet Mesprit, we eventually reach the cave where the elusive Pokémon resides. Upon entering, we are greeted by Mesprit itself.

"Hello again," Mesprit says. "I understand your purpose, but first, I'd like to witness your strength."

We exchange surprised glances at Mesprit's unexpected proposal, realizing it's open to being captured only after a battle. Determined, I respond, "If it's a battle you seek, then let's do it."

I select Kleavor as my partner for the impending confrontation. Utilizing X-Scissor, Kleavor lands a powerful blow on Mesprit during the battle. Seizing the opportunity, we then unleash an Ultra Ball to capture Mesprit.

As Mesprit materializes, it speaks, "If you seek your fragments, I regret to inform you that I do not possess one. Perhaps Uxie or Azelf could assist you."

I furrow my brow, puzzled. "But that doesn't add up... If you don't have one, where can we find the remaining three?"

"Perhaps recalling something might lead us to the answers we seek," Alice suggests as we depart from the cavern, hopeful for clues elsewhere.

Upon reaching the Crimson Mirelands, they arrive at the Diamond Settlement and are welcomed by Adaman. With a smile, Adaman exclaims, "Well, well, if it isn't Ash, Alice, and Rei! Perfect timing. I found some treasure you'd be interested in."

"A treasure?" Rei inquires, his curiosity piqued.

Adaman grins, "Did that make your ears perk up? Happy to fill you in, if you're curious..."

"Did that grab your attention? Well, I'll gladly spill the details if you're keen..."

"Yeah, I'm really curious, so get straight to the point," Ash interjects.

"There's that Survey Corps spirit! Curiosity's what moves science forward, according to good old Mr. Professor. But come to think of it, what I've found seems too valuable to just let you in on it for free. You'll need to work a little!"

"We've already put in our fair share of work," Alice responds. "Just tell us what you need."

"Here's the deal. I want you to show me what's in your mind, your heart...your soul! In short: battle me!" Adaman proposes.

"You could have just said that," I remark. "We're up for a battle."

"Then it's on! Time to see what you've got," Adaman declares, releasing Vaporeon, Umbreon, and Leafeon. I choose Pikachu and Infernape as my partners for the confrontation.

"Here I come, knowing full well how tough you are...For the future of the Diamond Clan!"

Adaman orchestrates a coordinated attack from all three Eeveelutions, catching both of our Pokémon off guard, but despite their synergy, the battle culminates in me emerging victorious.

"You're really something...and I'm a man of my word. So, here's that treasure," Adaman says, presenting an object. our eyes widen in recognition. Though it's more of a crystal than an orb, we know it's the Adamant Orb.

"This used to be my grandfather's. He said it was somehow related to almighty Sinn-I mean, to mighty Dialga. So, now that I've put you through the wringer a little, it seems right to give it to you since you're the one who caught mighty Dialga!" Adaman explains.

"That could be true," Alice agrees.

"Y'know, I ought to tell you...I'm glad it was you who fell out of the sky to us. You taught me another way to get along with Pokemon...another way to relate to the world!" Adaman adds warmly.