Chapter 28

As we climb the mountain toward the Icepeak Arena, Gaeric turns to us and says, "So we are to quell Avalugg, as you wished...In the end, the strength of your feelings won out. Or maybe your real strength comes from the way that you walk among both people and Pokemon. Well! I suppose I'd better get to work making some balms using that Eternal Ice. I've heard how they are made, and with muscles like mine, it'll be only a moment's work!"

Right then, without the three of us assisting, Gaeric swiftly creates the balms. He adds, "If you truly wish to quell Avalugg, then walk on. The path lies before you! But know that Avalugg will hurl chunks of ice at you without relent! You'll need unrivaled dodging ability!"

"We won't let that ice hurt us," I affirm.

As we press forward, we halt at the cliff's edge, sensing the ground trembling beneath us. Suddenly, Avalugg emerges from the earth. My heart races at the sight, unsure if the shivers wracking my body are from the cold or sheer fear.

"He's enormous... even though we've seen it firsthand..." I mutter, my voice barely audible over the quaking.

Avalugg begins launching ice balls in a relentless zigzag pattern. Alice and I dodge while tossing balms to counter the attacks. "We've been burned and paralyzed; let's avoid getting frozen," I urge.

"Agreed." As Avalugg conjures icicles from the ground, Alice and I narrowly evade them.

"What's next?" Alice inquires, and suddenly, chunks of ice hurtle toward us at incredible speed. Dodging frantically, I remark, "There's hardly any room for us to maneuver..."

"Yeah, and we mustn't collide while dodging either..." Serena adds, concern evident in her voice.

Avalugg charges a potent Ice Beam, resembling a laser about to strike. Reacting swiftly, Alice and I leap simultaneously to evade. Observing Avalugg's fatigue, I summon Lucario and command, "Aura Sphere!"

Lucario's attack lands, swiftly defeating the Pokémon. "It's an Ice and Rock type," Alice remarks.

"That explains why Lucario had such an advantage," I note, following our usual post-battle routine. Despite our efforts to evade damage, we inadvertently collide, taking a hit from an icicle.

"Ash! Alice! Are you okay?" Rei's voice echoes.

"We're fine," we reply in unison, though both of us sport cuts and shivers. With Lucario's help, we manage to throw the final balm, dispelling Avalugg's frenzy.

As Alice and I notice, Avalugg's lower half is made of rock, explaining its typing. Avalugg roars and hurls an Icicle Plate at me.

"Two beings of time and space set free from the Original One." This is what I found from my Icicle Plate. I feel the fatigue seeping in. Fortunately, Rei comes to assist us.

Irida is also there with Gaeric, she notices his despondency and addresses him, "Gearic, sir, you needn't look quite so downcast..."

"B-but seeing mighty Avalugg quelled - and by such slight children..." Gaeric stammers, "Three children that fell from the very sky...Are Ash, Rei, and Alice some kind of monsters in disguise?!"

"They are no monsters," Irida insists, shaking her head. "They're the ones who risked their lives without a second thought in order to quell our frenzied, suffering nobles."

After receiving healing, we walk over to Irida and Gaeric. Irida speaks up, "Ash, Rei, and Alice... Gearic cares for the Pearl Clan with all his heart and believes in almighty Sinnoh just as deeply. So he has feared more than any of us that getting involved with the Diamond Clan and your Galaxy Team could cause our people to flag in their devotion to almighty Sinnoh. But that will change."