Chapter 6

Now we are having dinner with Akari and Laventon again, and Laventon says, "So Ash, Alice, and Rei! I believe a jolly good congratulations are in order! Well done on earning your First Star rank!"

Akari smiles, "Potato mochi tastes so much better when you have something to be happy about! Still, we'll be very busy from now on between our Survey Corps duties and requests from folks here. The people of Jubilife aren't too familiar with Pokemon, you see...So if problems arise, the Survey Corps gets called to help."

"Indeed so! Some people will ask you for help when you talk with them, while other requests will need to be claimed from the blackboard I keep in my lab." Laventon adds. "Speaking of which, weren't you approached with a request recently, Akari? What's it all about?"

"About that...I was thinking maybe Ash, Alice, or Rei could handle it for me. I was told it would require a bit of skill with battling Pokemon, so..." Akari frowns.

"Ah, yes. That request came from Mai of the Diamond Clan if I recall correctly?" Laventon says.

"Diamond Clan?" Alice asks.

"The people of the Diamond Clan have lived here in Hisui since before the Galaxy Team arrived. If we could establish good relations, I'm sure there is much we might learn from them, including more about the local Pokemon...But we can discuss all that tomorrow! For today, we should eat up and get some rest."

"I guess so." I say as we continue to eat. After finishing the meal, we bid farewell to Akari and Laventon as we head back to our own house.

The next day, Akari asks us to come outside as she has something that needs our help. "Listen - do you have a bit of time after this? There's something I could use your help with."

"Sure, what is it?" Alice asks.

"I'll tell you once we arrive at the training grounds." Akari says. "If you've caught a lot of Pokemon, you may want to visit the pastures to change up your team."

We understand about the pastures, but we probably won't train the Pokémon. Despite that, we decide to follow her to the Training Ground. After arriving there, she says, "Thanks for coming, I know you're busy. Listen - I've had an epiphany!"

"Which is?" I ask.

"You see, I've got a partner of my own. We may not get along perfectly, but we've got to work together to help complete the Pokédex!" Akari frowns.

"Your partner?" Alice asks.

"Yes! Here - this is my partner, Pikachu!" When she sends out a female Pikachu, it captures Pikachu's interest, especially because it's a female Pikachu and the first time we're seeing one in the past.

"When we were attacked by those Shinx, I got too scared to think straight, and...I couldn't handle battling as a team." Akari frowns. "Ever since then, my partner's refused to listen to anything I tell him...And if I'm being honest, I'm not even sure how to order him - how to guide him in battle. But when I saw how you and your Pokemon work together, I realized we need to do more, too...So please! Have a battle with me. I want to learn how to fight effectively."

"I'll help you out, right, buddy?" I ask my partner, who cheers with me and jumps to the field. Akari takes a breath and says, "Pikachu, use Quick Attack!"

But Pikachu doesn't listen; she just lazily yawns, causing Akari to frown. I say, "Pikachu, how about we show that Pikachu what it means to be partners! Use Quick Attack!"

Pikachu slams the female one with the Quick Attack, and now the female Pikachu is getting angry. Akari says, "Pikachu! Listen to me! try to use Quick Attack to hit back!"