Chapter 16

After getting off the carriage towards the Cobalt Coastlands, we are in awe at the sight of the ocean and the beach in front of us.

"Ah, the Cobalt Coastlands! A simply lovely corner of Hisui Sea and sky as far as the eye can see!" Laventon says. "What kinds of Pokemon await us here, I wonder? Water-types? Or Flying-types, perhaps? Oooh, I simply can't wait to study them all! Now I'm sure you're just as excited as I am to research this area's Pokemon, but let's not forget that you've a mission to accomplish! So, any questions before you get started?"

"Well, we want to ask about the Firespit Island..." I say.

"Hmm...indeed. Firespit Island is an offshore volcano—you'll need to cross the sea to reach it. I'd advise you to speak to a fellow called Iscan. He's one of the Diamond Clan's wardens and will surely help you find your way." Professor Laventon says.

Then we find Irida already waiting for us, she seems to be looking at the sea, and she starts to play the Celestica Flute. The melody is very soothing and we can feel at ease.

"I do love the flute. It feels as if its tones carry to the very ends of space. But I am here, and so are you. So now I'm going to focus everything I have on battling you." Irida says.

"Right now? I don't mind about that." I say.

"Very good. You who have seen the vast space beyond the rift...Here I come!" Irida says as the Glaceon and Eevee jump in front of Irida, Alice and I decide to go with Pikachu and Espeon to battle, with the Iron Tail and Psychic, both Pokemon are defeated.

"Ah, now I feel better!" Irida sighs. "The world is vast...and I am small within it. Thank you! Allow me to heal your Pokemon."

"You're welcome?" I ask as we watch Irida healing Pikachu and Espeon.

"All right. With you... I think with you I can be frank." Irida says. "I can't afford to look weak in front of the Diamond Clan's leader or your commander, but in truth... "I sometimes wonder how I've ended up with the burdens I bear."

"What do you mean?" Rei asks.

"You see, we have a warden in the coastlands— a lovely woman named Palina. But she tends no lord or lady. And she will not raise a successor to fill the late lord's empty seat, either. Some people have started to question her worthiness to be a warden at all. But Lina - that is to say, Palina - she's very dear to me, no matter what anyone might say. We were both in the running to become leader of the Pearl Clan. We strove to surpass one another, but...she taught me a great deal, too."

"Sounds like you two are really close." Alice says.

"Having said all this, I have a favor to ask of you. Please help her raise the Pokemon she looks after into a true heir to his father - the late lord! With the help of your strength, I think our late lord's heir would grow into a worthy successor. And if he succeeds, it should silence Lina's naysayers. I don't know of anyone I'd trust more to help with this than the people who helped the Pearl Clan by quelling Kleavor's frenzy." Irida says.

"Of course, we will help. So where is she? Firespit Island?" I ask.

"You'll be able to find Lina up on the headland. Head down this hill, and turn left. You should find a slope leading up onto the ridge." Irida says as we decide to head there to find this Palina.

As we walk on the ridge, we notice a woman standing in front of a grave, with two Growlithe beside her. We also notice that the Growlithe is also different from the ones we used to know, and they are barking at us.

"Hush, now. Settle down." Palina stops the Growlithe. "I'm Palina of the Pearl Clan. And who might you three be?"

"My name is Ash, and this is Alice and Rei." I reply.