Chapter 21

When we're inside the cave, I notice the absence of torchlight guiding our way. Ingo remarks, "Well, this is odd. The torches that usually light the way through the cave are gone. Could this be Melli attempting to obstruct us?"

"Or maybe Melli did it to protect the Pokémon from the light," I suggest. "I've met Pokémon who dislike bright surroundings."

Ingo reassures us, "Either way, there's no need for concern. I know my route, and I'll conduct us safely. No darkness nor foul weather will delay us! Onward we roll! Take care not to come uncoupled from me!"

As Ingo leads the way, we tread through the cave, and he quietly murmurs, "I recall, faintly, that I had a partner once. A precious one."

"Really?" Alice inquires.

"Its name escapes me, but I remember that it wielded flames with mastery," Ingo reflects. "If only it were here, I'm sure it would light the way, luring us onward..."

I understand that the Pokémon he refers to is Chandelure; after all, we've battled against him once with Rosa.

"Please forgive the unscheduled stop. I detected an alpha Crobat to our right," Ingo alerts. "Under normal circumstances, I doubt its presence would obstruct someone so competent as you...But given the poor visibility, I propose a track change in the interest of safety. Please follow me. Take care not to come uncoupled from me!"

As we continue moving forward, Ingo adds thoughtfully, "I'm starting to recall a man who looked...like me. We'd battle and discuss Pokemon, I think...The words "I like winning more than anything else" flashed through my mind just now..."

I let out a sigh and suggest, "Ingo, the person you mentioned... Do you think it might be your brother?"

"It could be..." Ingo acknowledges. "We'll soon be arriving at Wayward Cave's exit. Even if the memories themselves have faded...it appears much still lives on in my heart."

"That's reassuring," Rei remarks.

"This is fine progress. We're nearly home free. Wait! Could those be?" Ingo remarks as we pause by a pond, spotting the torches lying on the ground. "Let me put those torches back where they belong. This darkness could be perilous for the next person to pass through here."

While Ingo attends to the torches, we decide to conduct our fieldwork in the cave. Once finished, Ingo advises, "I beg your pardon for the delay. I have lit and returned the torches. I have lit and returned the torches. My safety concerns have been addressed. Ready for departure! If you follow the track marked by the torches, you'll reach the terminus of this cave!"

As we finally emerge from the cave, Ingo mentions, "Professor Laventon told me how you three fell to this land from the sky."

"But what about you? Did you fall from the sky like us?" Rei asks.

"For my part, I simply found myself one day here in Hisui, a region whose name I'd never heard...All I could remember was my own name. I was still standing there in bafflement when the Pearl Clan came to my aid. I showed a natural affinity for taming Pokemon, which is why I eventually became a warden," Ingo explains.

"I see..." So we won't be able to get some answers from him.

"But still I wonder what my true purpose is here..." Ingo shakes his head. "Ah, but now I've sidetracked us with this talk. Let's hurry onward!"

We nod in agreement as we venture into the Wayward Woods, hoping for a smooth journey ahead. And after walking for a quite while, we arrive at the Ancient Querry.

"And here we are, at the Ancient Quarry," Ingo announces, but our arrival is interrupted by the sight of Melli standing there.

"What's the big idea, putting back all the torches I spent ages tidying away?" Melli asks with annoyance. "Do you get some sort of amusement stomping around and ruining people's noble deeds?"