reality

Noah's POV

I spend the next morning staring at houses on my computer screen. I have to get Belle out of here. She's more vulnerable than ever, and I need to protect her.

I hear fast footsteps in Belle's room. I get up from my chair and walk into her room, then to her bathroom. "When is this going to end?" I ask her, bending down to hold her hair up. She scoots back from the toilet and leans against the wall, looking over at me.

"I don't know," she responds, "You would think it would've ended after I started my second trimester."

"I read the baby book, I know," I say. Annabelle had been given a book from my mother to help her navigate everything. That's the first book I've read since I was in college.

"I read the baby book," Annabelle mocks in a nasally voice. I chuckle, soon helping her off of the floor per her request. I give her a kiss on the cheek as she comes in for an embrace.

I rub her back gently, "Let's go downstairs and make some breakfast," I say.

"I could go for some chocolate chip waffles," Annabelle says.

"Anything for you."

I hold her hand as we make our way down the stairs. She's a little slow to go down the stairs, I notice, but I'm willing to wait for her. I'd wait until the end of the world.

Once we get to the kitchen, I have her sit down at the table while I make the waffles. I can't tell her what Alex told me, I think to myself. I can't allow her to stress about it. I think Schlatt's method of thinking with that is the same. But why didn't he tell me?

"I think we should seriously start looking for houses," I tell Annabelle.

"I think so too..." she says, "I still want to stay close to my brother."

"I know. But I don't think we should stay in this house."

Annabelle nods her head as I pour the batter into the waffle maker. I close the waffle maker to make the first waffle.

"Annabelle, I just want you and our daughter to be safe, so I think the quicker we get it done, the better."

"I know. I agree," Annabelle says.

"I've been looking at houses."

"Okay. Just let me know if you find anything good," Annabelle says. She turns her back to me to face the table. She rests her arms on the table, then putting her head in her arms.

"I don't mean to stress you out, or make you sad," I remind her, "We just have to be realistic. We are going to be parents."

"That's a very scary thought," Annabelle tells me.

"It's not a thought anymore. It's reality."

"That's even scarier."

I finish making two waffles and I set them in front of Annabelle on a plate. I rub her back gently as she picks her head up, soon sitting back in her chair and starting to eat the waffles.

"Are you okay?" I ask Belle.

"Yeah, I'm just tired," she says to me.

"You know I love you, right?"

"Yeah, and I love you too."

I go back over and make some waffles for myself. We exist in silence, as I watch Annabelle's mannerisms, I'm trying to keep her happy. I really am. But, as the weeks have gone on in her pregnancy, she's never happy in the morning. But I don't know how this whole thing with Alex will affect that.

Once my waffles are ready, I go over to Annabelle and sit with her.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask her.

"How we need to move out," she says.

"Yeah, I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about that."

"My brother has been acting weird, and when that happens... I know nothing good is coming."

I nod, the moral dilemma in my head is pulling me in two directions. Do I tell her about what Alex told me? Or do I lie to her to keep her stress-free?

She'll find out eventually. She always finds out. Do I let her brother tell her? Will her brother tell her?

"I need to feed off of someone else's energy right now," Annabelle says.

I laugh, "And how are you gonna do that?"

"I'm going to call Tina and tell her the gender of the baby."

"Now?"

"Well when I'm done eating my waffles that my lovely boyfriend made me."

"Oh, well, you know, I just love you so much."

"So sweet of you to make me the only thing I've been craving for weeks."

"Well, if you would've told me earlier in the week, I would've made you enough to last."

"I have been too tired and grumpy and sick and busy growing a baby to ask for it."

"Okay. Whatever you say," I say with a laugh as I finish my waffle.

Once Annabelle is finished with her waffles, I get up, taking our now empty plates to the sink. I wash them off before I put them away in the dishwasher.

"I'm going to go call Tina," Annabelle says. She gets up from her chair and starts walking towards the stairs. That's when the doorbell rings, and Annabelle diverts her path to go to the door. I rush up to her, "I got it," I tell her.

I have her stand behind me as I open the door, revealing a face I have only seen once before. It's Annabelle's Dad. I turn behind me to see that Annabelle can't recognize who it is, so I use this to my advantage to step outside, so that she gets no view of what's happening.

"Well, hello there," he greets me. "Noah, right?"

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave," I say to him.

"I'm not here to see Belle. I'm here to see my son."

"What?"

"He asked me to come here."