catch up

Noah's POV

Schlatt comes out of the bathroom and appears behind me. He looks at who's at the door.

"No. No, you need to leave before I call the fucking cops," He says, charging at his father immediately. I hold my own ground restraining him. I really don't need to bail him out of prison.

"Son, come on, it's me."

"I'm not your fucking son."

"I'm not here for you anyway. I'm here for Anna. Where did she go?"

Schlatt keeps trying to break past. I give him the 'are you going to try not to get arrested' look, and he gives me the 'no i will not get arrested' look in response. I let him go.

"Where is Anna?" he asks.

"Why do you want to know?" Schlatt says.

"I have something to give her. Where is she?"

I'm quick to act, "She's in Mexico. With our other roommate, Alex," I lie.

"Well, I'll be here for a while. I'll be here when she gets back." he says, before turning around and going back to his car. I close the door, locking it immediately.

"I'm glad I got that security system installed," Schlatt says, sighing painfully.

"How long has it been since you've seen your father?" I ask, as Schlatt pulls up the security system on the television.

"For me? Well I moved here two years ago. That means it's been 3 years..."

"Do you know how long it's been for Belle?" I ask.

"Same amount. The last time we saw him, we saw him together. It was her birthday. He showed up at our grandmas house. He was drugged and definitely drunk, as usual. My grandmother tried to tell him to leave but he shoved her out of the way and I had to keep him away from Belle."

"Do you think he still uses?" I ask him, as we both sit on the couch.

"I would be shocked if he stopped," Schlatt tells me. I look down at my phone, and call Belle again. She picks up. I get up from the couch and I leave the room.

"Belle. Where have you been?" I say before she can get a word in, as Schlatt trails behind me.

"Noah. I saw him on the security cameras. I knew he was coming, I had this gut feeling, and I ran," she quickly explains to me. The security cameras are linked to an app on your phone. I'm not shocked that she has notifications on for that.

How did she know he was coming? I shake off that question and ask a better one, "Annabelle, he's gone. Where are you?"

"I'm in Crystal Beach."

"Crystal Beach?" I question.

"That's four hours away," Schlatt tells me.

"I don't want him to find me," Belle says.

I start racking my brain around what to do. I have to go to her. I have to protect her. I start going up the stairs, "What did you bring with you? Are you in a hotel?"

"I brought a change of clothes. I'm in a hotel right now."

"I can pack you a suitcase, I'm going to come down."

"Okay," she says quietly, "Please hurry."

"Send me a list of things you want. I love you, I'll see you soon."

"I love you too."

I hang up and immediately start packing a suitcase for myself. I have packed very quickly for long trips before... I'm basically a pro. I get Annabelle's list from her. Included, she sends me the exact location where everything is. She knows me so well. I would be spending an extra two hours doing this if she hadn't done that.

Schlatt comes downstairs as I'm frantically putting Annabelle's clothes in her suitcase.

"Are you following her?" he asks.

"Yeah. Are you going to be okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be? Belle is the one we need to protect from him anyways."

With that, I start grabbing all of the toiletries Belle tells me to pack from her bathroom connected to her room. When I finish with her items, I zip her suitcase shut. If I forgot anything, we can just buy it at the store. I check my phone. It's 9 pm. I better get on the road now. She needs me.

I grab my suitcase from my room and start to head downstairs. Schlatt is waiting for me, having made me some coffee.

I go outside to put out suitcases in my car. When I head back inside, Schlatt had poured my cup for me.

"Here," he says, handing it over to me as I walk into the kitchen. "Good luck."

"Thanks, you too. Text me if you need me," I say. With that, I grab my phone and my keys, putting my shoes on before I leave. Annabelle had sent me the address to the oceanfront condo she was staying at. I wonder what made her choose to go to a beach. Regardless, I am starting my four hour car ride down to the beach. Driving through Houston, I'm listening to my girlfriend's music, sipping my warm coffee. Will she be awake when I get there? Listening to her sing is not making me happy. In this specific song, the anger and fear in her voice comes out as she sings about her insecurities. I try to skip to a happier song of hers, but I end up turning off my music all together.

————

Annabelle's POV

It's been about four hours since Noah has left the house. I sit on the bed in condo, waiting for him to arrive. I bought this hotel for a few nights, I knew he was going to come. My guts just told me, and I followed them. I have never been more happy to be right. I need Noah here with me. As the day went on without, I found myself unable to leave this place. So I'm hungry, with only a change of pajamas with me, and insanely tired. I stare at the door for god only knows how long, before I hear a knock on the door. I open it, seeing Noah on the other side, I instantly start crying and wrapped my arms around him. He lets go of our suitcases he was rolling down the hallway and embraces me.

"Hey. Hey. It's okay..." Noah tells me as he starts rubbing my back. I don't let go. "Schlatt and I took care of him. He's not going to find you."

I can't get any coherent words out in response to what Noah says. He rubs my back for a couple more minutes, giving me kisses on the top of my head. He then takes me back inside, taking me over to the couch. He makes me sit down before he leaves to roll our suitcases inside. He shuts and locks the door behind him. As he sits on the couch next to me, I have calmed down.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you," I say to him.

"Belle, I'm not mad, at all, for the way you reacted. You were protecting yourself. I'm here now. I'll always be here. Now, let's order some food and go to bed," Noah tells me.

I wrap my arms around him again, finally feeling some sort of peace after being on edge all day.