deadbeat

Annabelle's POV

"Annabelle!" I hear my brother call from downstairs as I'm waking up in Noah's bed. Christ. I left my room door open, so now J is probably wondering where I am. What does he want from me? I get distracted, running my hand through Noah's hair as he continues to sleep.

"Corey's here!" he then calls.

Shit.

I quickly get up in bed, grabbing my clothes from Noah's floor. I open his room door slightly, see that the coast is clear, and I run to my bedroom across the hall. I throw on Corey's black sweatshirt and my gray sweatpants, not really caring that I am sore from last night. Being on my feet, then being with Noah all night... yeah, I'm hurting.

I rush down the stairs, throwing my hair in a messy bun as Corey comes over to me and takes my hand, "Let's talk outside," he says. I'm a little confused as we walk outside. We sit on the chairs that are on the porch.

"I found us a place to live," Corey says. I immediately raise an eyebrow. I'm not awake enough for this, but I sigh and look him in the eyes before he continues.

"It's right in the city, just like we want. I just need ten thousand dollars for the down payment."

"Ten thousand?" I ask. "Yeah, that's not happening unless you're paying for half of it."

"Belle I don't have a job."

"What?"

"The construction company has no jobs right now."

"When we're you going to tell me this?"

"I don't know."

"And where's all of your money now?"

"I used it to repair my motorcycle."

I immediately get up from my chair. I get that his motorcycle is important, but now he's asking me for ten thousand dollars of my own, hard-earned money. I live comfortably, but not comfortably enough to do that. I want to pull so badly.

"No." I say. It's my final answer, and I start to walk back inside. When I open the front door, Corey follows in behind me.

"I can't pay for everything Corey," I say, "It's not feasible."

"You have plenty of money," he argues.

"That doesn't mean I'm comfortable with forking up ten thousand dollars."

J, who's in the kitchen making ramen, looks over at us, "ten thousand dollars for what?"

"It's really not your business," Corey says.

"A new apartment," I say to J, since Corey won't. J comes over to Corey, standing directly in front of him

"My sister is my business," he says, before going back to his ramen.

Corey doesn't act like he's intimidated by my brother, but I would be if I was him. Regardless, that shuts Corey up real fast. I don't really feel bad about sleeping with Noah in this moment. Maybe because it's what's right? Maybe because I'm angry? I have no idea. J takes his ramen upstairs.

"I just want to have a place for us again," Corey says quietly.

"I like it here," I say.

"Yeah, you like it here with Noah. Just as I thought."

"No! My brother had this entire recording studio built for me before I was even living here. He wants me to live here. I like being with my brother. You know that."

"You let your brother control you," Corey says.

"No. My brother just wants me to have the best career possible. Why didn't you show up to my gig?" I then confront. I'm tired of him. I'm just tired in general.

"You didn't wear what I put out for you to wear that night. I saw the pictures."

"Because it was ugly," I say.

"I bought it for you."

"I don't care. I don't like it when you pick my clothes out. And I don't like that you just asked me for ten thousand fucking dollars!"

"I have worked so hard to make you look the way you are. The diet, the workouts. You were nothing before I met you," Corey argued.

"At least I was happy," I said, "But I ruined my own happiness the night I met you!"

We both go silent. Corey looks at his sweatshirt, scoffs, and turns around to leave. "I'll be back," he mutters.

I suddenly don't feel safe. I start panicking, rushing back upstairs. I go straight to Noah's room, where he is somehow still asleep. I nudge him. He murmurs incoherent words, before one more nudge from me begins to wake him up.

"Belle?" he says tiredly. He can't see my facial expression. He rubs his eyes.

"Noah, I need you." I admit. He sits up in his bed, just in his boxers from the night before.

"Me? For what?" Noah asks.

"I just... I need you."

"You have me," he says, gently wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into bed. He adjusts himself so he's sitting next to me.

"You'll always have me. I didn't go anywhere. In fact, I came to you," Noah said.

"Corey is mad at me," I say.

"Let him be."

There a knock on the door again as Alex starts to go back downstairs, "It's my DoorDash!" he says excitedly, "My loaded quesadilla!" Alex goes down to the door after seemingly being held up in his room all day.

After opening the door, he calls back upstairs, "Annabelle! It's not my DoorDash! It's your boyfriend!"

I grab Noah's hand. He gets up from the bed and puts on a t-shirt and shorts. I go downstairs without him. Corey is standing in the living room with a grocery bag in his hand.

"What is that?" I ask.

"Pads and tampons, since clearly you need them," Corey says.

I look back at Alex's shocked expression. I turn back to Corey. I'm not amused.

"I'm not on my period," I say.

"You sure?" Corey asks as Noah starts to come down the stairs.

"Yeah. Now, what I am sure about, is that I want you to leave me alone, fix your attitude," I say, walking away from Corey.

"Fix your attitude, you're mine," Corey replied, trying to get closer to me.

Noah steps in between Corey and I. Corey, without saying a word, drops the grocery bag on the floor and turns around, leaving. He slams the front door behind him. It startles me.

"I'm sorry," I say to Alex.

"No. I am sorry," Alex says, "What a bitch."

Noah turns to face me.

Alex continues,"Who says shit like that? If I said that to you I'd get fucking beaten."

Noah comes over to me. He pulls me into a hug. War is over. Or is it?