blurry

Annabelle's POV

These flashbacks I've been having are getting worse. I woke up in a cold sweat last night, panting and shaking. It's almost as if the danger, my father, is near. I get out of my bed, seeing that Noah has already starting streaming for the day, and I make my way downstairs to get myself some lunch. As I had been laying down in bed for a good couple of hours. I see Alex in the kitchen, making food.

"What're you making?" I ask him, sitting on the kitchen counter in my pajama pants and oversized t-shirt. I go over to the cabinet, taking out a plastic cup and making myself a glass of ice water.

"Quesadillas. Want one?"

"Yes please!" I say, watching Alex as he then gets to work. Hopefully this will serve as a good distraction.

"How have you and Noah been?" Alex asks me.

"Pretty good. I'm happy we are reunited. It's definitely what I wanted."

"It's what he wanted too, trust me," Alex says, before getting more cheese out of the refrigerator for my quesadilla.

I chuckle a bit, enjoying catching up with Alex as we talk about odds and ends. I help with the food when I'm asked to.

Once Alex is finished with our food we sit at the kitchen table together.

"Would you mind composing some more songs on the piano for me?" he asks.

"Yeah, I can do that," I say, "What are you looking for?"

"Just something casual. Nothing too crazy, just something to have on in the background."

"You know you can just put my music on in the background," I remind him.

"I know, just work with me here," Alex says as I chuckle again.

"Fine, I can do a little piece for you. Something that loops well..." I say, now the thoughts of music in my mind.

We eat our quesadillas as J makes his way down the stairs. I look over at him, raising an eyebrow. I didn't know he was home. He's usually at his office by now. He looks directly at me.

"I need you to be on the podcast. Our fucking guest canceled last minute," J tells me.

"Okay," I say to him, "When do you need me?"

"Now."

"Can I get a please?" I ask, as Alex chuckles in the background.

"No," J says. I get up from my seat, having finished my food. I set my plate in the sink. I go over to my brother and give him a big, squeeze-filled hug.

"I just love you so much!" I say dramatically.

My brother, being the tough guy he is, doesn't react to it. He just stands there, a blank expression on his face, and lets me do it. He would definitely hug me back if Alex wasn't around. "Go get ready." he says. "Please."

I let go and make my way upstairs. I get changed into a black jumpsuit, with peach colored sandals of mine to go with it. I put my hair up in a tight bun, accessorizing in gold jewelry and adding on a bit of makeup. Once I'm finished, I head back downstairs to find my brother waiting for me on the couch.

"Finally. Let's go," He tells me, and we are out the door.

As we are on our way to the set of Chuckle Sandwich, I turn to my brother and ask, "Is Ted just coming up with questions and shit?"

"Yeah pretty much," he responds. I hum the song playing on the radio, looking out the window.

I turn to face my brother, and I'm transported. I see my father as I am in the passenger seat of his truck at age 7. We are going to get my brother from a friend's house. I start humming a song I learned in school and stare out the window, happy that my brother is returning home. My dad shuts off the music.

"What did I tell you?" My father asks me sternly.

"No singing," I say.

"Singing is for fucking losers," he says. We pull up to the stop sign. My father grabs his orange prescription pill bottle and puts a few pills in his mouth, before swallowing them with a swig of Dr. Pepper. At this point, it had been two years since his knee replacement surgery.

"I like to sing," I tell my father, looking up at him after he had swallowed his pills, "In music class, we learned this song and—"

My father cuts me off, "I don't fucking care Anna. Face forward."

I look down at the ground, before peering back up at him for a second as we reach a second stoplight.

He catches my glance, giving me a stern smack across the face, saying, "What the FUCK did I just tell you?"

and I start sobbing, which escalates the situation until we get my brother and drive home.

I snap back into reality once we pull into the studio J rents to record his podcast, my eyes are blurry from wanting to cry. I had stopped humming when the flashback started. I made sure I was now looking out the window, I don't need my brother seeing me like this.

"Belle... we're here," J says as I'm staring into oblivion. I wipe the tears from my eyes and get out of the truck, not even facing my brother. I make my way in and greet Ted with a hug.

"Hey Ted, It's been too long," I say, sporting a fake smile.

"Hey Belle," he responds, "Thanks for stepping in for us."

"No worries, I'm happy to do it," I say, before taking my place in the Chuckle Sandwich booth, in front of a microphone. I stare for a bit, trying to collect myself. I'm going to have to act my way through this.

After a quick microphone check, we get started with the podcast. After being introduced, including a channel plug and an album plug, the conversation begins.