Chapter Sixty Six

Start from the beginning

"What do you want from me, Eric?"

Eric closed his eyes, growing more and more irritated. "I don't know," he sagged back in the chair, rubbing his temples. "I just don't know. I just..." He looked back up, his gaze genuinely softening. "I just don't want her to ever find out the truth. I don't want her to be in the spot where I have to choose between her and the business. I don't...I don't want to make that choice again. It fucking sucks."

The older man stared at him for a long, silent moment before he got up, rounded the table, and stood behind the chair Eric sat in. He placed both his hands on the young man's shoulders and squeezed them in a soothing gesture.

"I know it hasn't been easy for you," he said, his voice filled with understanding. "I know how much it kills you to do what we do. And I respect you for understanding that in our business, family and friends are just weaknesses that pull us down. No one wants a liability. No one wants to be threatened by those who are much more powerful and much more wicked and dangerous than they are. And for that reason, sometimes we need to set such an example, we need to show that they can't do shit to make us do their bidding. That's why, sometimes, the show of violence is absolutely necessary. We hurt those we care for so our enemies won't get the chance to do that to them. You remember what happened to Willow, don't you? If you hadn't hesitated that day, she wouldn't have become the target of those people. She would still be with us. You know that, don't you?"

Eric's gaze burned with a mix of emotions, each one more intense than the others, so much his chest hurt with a pain that rose every time he thought about his sister—what happened to her and how. He looked away, trying not to shed those tears that made him feel weak.

Not again, he had sworn, not fucking again.

"We still need to avenge her. You promised." He gritted out.

The man stood straighter, the corner of his mouth tipping up in a cocky smirk that Eric couldn't see. He ran his fingers through Eric's hair, satisfied that he once again had the Logan boy wrapped around his finger.

What a dick? The man thought mentally, before moving from his place and standing in front of Eric, schooling his expression back to normal—sad. "And we will. I have some of our men keeping an eye on their locations. We will have a piece of good news very soon."

Eric looked up at the man, letting his tense shoulders finally drop. He sighed, before standing up. "I'll head to the office now and send you the details of the auditing company. You take care of the rest."

The man nodded happily. "Of course. When have I ever disappointed you?"

Eric didn't answer that and simply headed for the door.

However, before leaving, he paused and glanced over his shoulder. "And I'm serious. You won't call a hit this time. Not on her."

The man didn't hesitate before another lie came out of his mouth ever so smoothly. "You have my word."

* * *

After Eric left the room, and the man heard the sound of his footsteps fading away until a door opened far away from his cabin and closed, he finally peeled himself away from the table and headed back to his chair.

He sat down and leaned back, the chair creaking a little as he got comfortable and simply stared at the door. A thought was blooming in his head, taking shape, size, and purpose.

When he was sure what needed to be done to sort out the new predicament that was rising in front of him this time, he grabbed his phone and dialed a number on speed dial.

Someone answered on the second ring.

"Seems like you'd need to cut your vacations short." He said to the man in line. "We have a problem. A problem named Carmen Price."

A/N: Oops, seems like Eric is not alone in this

A/N: Oops, seems like Eric is not alone in this. And not as innocent either despite what he thinks :P

Also, if anything in this chapter confuses you, I would like to mention as a reminder that the duo was present in the initial chapter as well. The second chapter to be exact.

Once again, don't forget to follow, comment and like :)