Chapter 83: the final era

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--
"Mom, is it okay if we stay behind and hang out with Noah?" Thomas asks. I look up and make eye contact with Brenton. Once his head nods I pat his back and let the kids run off inside the house. Reece walks out of the house smiling when he sees the kids running around.

"He looks more and more like Blake every day," he says putting his arm around me. I lean my head on his shoulder as we watch the three of them.

"We did our best for them, right?" I ask as he rubs my arm.

"We did everything we could"

"Why did I just see Thomas with a pancake hanging from his mouth," Luke asks while laughing as he turns to watch the kids with us, "I swear that kid is like a reincarnation of Michael," he says as Ashton loses it. 

"What should we do today?" Kyleigh asks looking at us as she leans into Luke's side. I feel like this is the first time in years we could actually relax. We aren't leaders, we don't have mouths we have to feed by hunting, and there are no imminent threats we have to worry about.

"I was kind of thinking of going to the daycare thing that Henry was talking about," Reece says as Ashton smiles. Anytime Reece brings up kids and takes care of them his face is adorable. They deserve a family of their own. It's not like adoption is an option anymore, "Want to come with?" Reece asks as he holds his hand out. Ashton gladly takes it and says a quick See you later to the rest of us,

"What do you two have planned today?" I ask as Luke looks down at Kyleigh, "Maybe a cute little date. I can keep an eye on the kids," I tell them as Kyleigh smiles at him.

"Are you sure you're okay with hanging with the kids all day?" Luke asks.

"Come on. They love me," I tell him as Cora flips me off from behind him. My mouth drops open before she points behind me. I turn around and see Harry flipping her off and I lift my mouth back up. "Go. I'll be fine," I assure them as they give me skeptical looks.

"Who wants to spend the day with me?" I ask looking at the kids. The three of them all stare at me before running off.

"I guess that just leaves me," Brenton says walking out of his house. I give him a small smile as I shove my hands into my jacket.

"You don't have to babysit me...I'm sure I could find something to do," I tell him as I look around, "I guess I should start introducing myself to the neighbors if we were going to stay," I smile.

"That would be a good start. However, Henry will set up another town event for that so today you can just relax," he says making me take a deep breath of relief, "How come you hate meeting new people so much?" He asks as we start walking to the middle of town.

"I didn't always," I say trailing off thinking about how far we have all come, "I actually used to be one of the fun ones. Calum...who I've mentioned before. God, Kyleigh was going to drag me down the street kicking and screaming just because I had fallen in love with a guy I barely knew," I tell him with a smile.

"Love?" He asks shocked.

"Not like I'd Romeo and Juliet myself kind of love but it was the beginning of the end. I figured why stress the small stuff like first dates and all the pressures of modern dating," I tell him as he nods his head with a smile.

"I can't picture you fun," he says making me gasp in offense. We stop at the top of a small bridge that kind of looks into the small area where everyone gathers. It sits over a small pond and I could imagine myself falling asleep on the bench gazing at the stars, "you know what I mean. Even before I actually talked to you I could tell you were always on edge," he counters as I reluctantly agree.