Chapter 32: Crumbing Ground

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Erica's POV-
I run over to Kyleigh trying to catch up with her as she's scavenging with Luke. She sees me running over and tells Luke that she will be right back, "Hey...I just wanted to check in with you after your nightmare. I've never seen you so shaken up like that," I tell her.

"It was the kind of dream that felt real and I was confused when I woke up," she says making me feel bad she had to experience it.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask. She hesitates a little and looks at Luke.

"I don't wanna go into detail but there were walkers everywhere and we had to leave Luke behind. When I woke up and had him next to me it felt like I could breathe again," she tells me. Now the love fest makes sense. I couldn't imagine losing another one of us. I pull her in for a hug and spin around so we can both see the group.

"It's kind of wild how we ended up with best friends," I say, making her laugh.

"If only we could be living this reality without flesh eating zombies," she states. We start walking back to the group and I can't help but smile at everyone sitting together.

"Could you imagine living together with best friends for boyfriends? Waking up and cooking breakfast together, seeing them perform live, having Ashton and Michael always at our apartment cause its the party place," I fantasize.

"I'd love to live with you," Calum whispers, wrapping his arms around me and kissing my cheek.

"Please the closest Calum got to cooking breakfast was putting waffles in the toaster," Luke says making us laugh.

"I cant help but remember us making dinner at Ashtons house and you almost burning down his kitchen," Calum says. Ashton laughs at the memory and verifies Calum's statement. I would poke fun at the pair but I'm not the best cook either. Unless its apocalyptic beans than I'm amazing.

"Come on we have to keep moving. We are wasting daylight," Luke scolds sounding like a parent again. We get back in our normal groupings with Luke and Kyleigh in front and Jared, Abigail, and Jensen in the back.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, as Calum links our fingers.

"I could go for a nap but other than that I'm fine," He says, "How about you?"

"Amazing"

"Oh my god I just feel amazing cause I got to sleep in your arms Cally," Ashton teases from behind.

"Ashton, I know your jealous I picked Erica over you but you have to get over it," He responds. The whole group laughs as Ashton pushes through our hands and pushes me out of the way. Calum puts his arm around Ash and continues walking as I fall back with Dylan and Posey.

"I was kicked out of my boyfriends arms," I fake cry. Posey puts a consoling arm around my shoulders before tripping on the grass. Dylan and I laugh while helping him up.

"We are a mess today," Dylan says, fixing the hat on his head.

"How much longer Lucas?" I call up getting a quick don't call me that. Kyleigh yells back we are almost there and I already grow excited to find a new home.

"We should fine townhouses and fortify around them. It would be smart to have houses so close and connected," Dylan says. That is a pretty good idea. It reminds me of the other houses we had in the beginning when we met the guys. I wish they weren't taken over. If they weren't Niall and Michael would still be here.