Chapter 31: Eggs Smush Wonky

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

"Kyleigh!" I turn toward Ashton, the tears still streaming down my face.

"Kyleigh!" Someone repeats, but it's not coming from Ashton.

I suddenly open my eyes and gasp, realizing I am still lying on the couch with Luke beside me.

It was a nightmare.

It was all just a nightmare.

"Are you okay?" Luke asks in a quiet tone. He reaches forward and wipes the tears running down my cheeks. I must have been crying in my sleep. I don't reply to him as I nestle my head onto his chest and wrap my arms tightly around his body.

I have never felt this relieved before in my life. We stay like this for a minute or two, with him soothingly rubbing my back before I pull away.

I awkwardly look behind me and see everyone looking at me with concern.

"Sorry guys," I say, clearly embarrassed as I wipe the dried tears from my cheeks, "I just had a nightmare."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Luke asks.

"No. No, I'm fine. Promise," I say, trying to give a convincing smile and failing miserably, "I'm just really fucking glad you all are here."

"Geez, Kyle. You're going to make me cry," Erica says making me laugh.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what made me have such a bad dream," I say. My heart pangs at the thought of my dream, but I try to drown the feeling out.

"Don't worry about it. We've all had nightmares since this shit happened," Posey tells me, trying to make me feel better.

I smile at him before saying, "Not to be too sappy, but I love you guys. I know I haven't known you all that long, but I'm glad we're doing this together. You guys are my best friends."

"Damn, now you're going to make me cry," Jensen says, which makes everyone chuckle.

I feel Luke tighten his grip on me and I immediately feel consoled. I watch as Calum pulls Erica into his side, and even Jared and Abigail hug each other. I laugh when Posey and Dylan pull each other in for a hug, leaving Ashton and Jensen.

"Ah, what the hell man, come here," Ashton grins before pulling Jensen in for a hug.

"I did not expect to wake up to a lovefest, but I have to say, I don't hate it," Dylan jokes with a smile.

Erica laughs, and I expect Calum to react negatively, but he doesn't. In fact, he laughs with her. I smile at the small progress as I sit up on the couch and straighten myself out.

"So, are we ready to find a new home today?" I ask, trying to move the subject away from the nightmare.

"Hell yeah," Jensen says enthusiastically.

I'm glad we don't linger on my nightmare for long as we all spend the next hour just relaxing and talking. We eat what little food we can, and we hydrate ourselves for the day. Soon, we decide to hit the road. The sooner we get to a new location, the better. I pull out the map and memorize the nearest directions while everyone else gathers their supplies.

We step outside, and the sun is shining brightly in the sky. I nervously look down the street and am relieved to see no walkers and no cars.

Luke and I lead the way, and I grin up at him as he intertwines our fingers. We eventually get onto a main street and are back on our original track. A few minutes later, I call out, "We should play the license plate game."

"We should," Abigail agrees.

"Ohhh, I love that game," Erica says excitedly.

"How do you play?" Posey questions.

"Basically, you read the letters on a license plate and have to come up with a phrase that correlates with the letters. For example," I say, reading the nearest car's license plate, "This one is ESW. So, you could say something like Erica Sings Well."

"Awww, that's so nice," Erica smiles, "But false."

"Erica Smells Weird," Calum abruptly says, causing the group to laugh.

Erica gasps and jokingly shoves his shoulder.

"Hey, I'm just playing the game," Calum giggles.

"How about Eggs Smush Wonky?" Ashton excitedly adds.

I laugh at his enthusiasm, "That's so random, but it's perfect."

"How about this car," Jared reads out, "CLL."

"Cats like lollipops?" Jensen offers.

"Nice one," Abigail laughs as she rolls her eyes.

"Calum loves Luke?" I suggest.

The group chuckles as Calum winks at Luke, "She's not wrong."

Luke smirks at Calum before blowing him a kiss, which Calum bashfully pretends to grab.

"Oooh, I got one," Erica starts proudly, "Calum looks lumpy."

Now it's Calum's turn to gasp in offense, "That is so rude."

"Payback, baby," Erica grins as the group breaks up in laughter.

We play this game for the next hour, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how invested people are. Everyone is impressed when someone says something intelligible, and everyone laughs when someone says something idiotic.

All memories of the nightmare from last night fade as we continue to talk, and I couldn't be happier.

At some point, Abigail asks, "Hey, how far away are we?"

I glance back down at the map, "We're close. Maybe twenty minutes?"

"Sweet," Jared replies.

We pass by a little shopping center, and Calum nods toward it, "We should check this out at some point."

"Definitely," Ashton agrees. I have been marking a few areas down that I think we should check out while we're here. I pray we can find food soon, and if we're lucky, maybe there is even a stream nearby.

I turn my head as Erica cheerfully says, "KYLEIGH. LOOK AT THE LEAVES. LOOK. AT. THE. LEAVES."

I turn to look at where she is pointing and a smile immediately spreads across my face, "This is so pretty. I feel like this area encompasses fall."

Calum laughs as Erica continues to point out how pretty the location is. I also take the time to admire the new location. It already looks better than the last few places we stayed.

I turn back to look at the group and I smile at how happy everyone looks as we explore the new area. I really do love this group, no matter how dysfunctional we are.