Chapter 8: Promise

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

I open my eyes and for a moment, I completely forget where I am. I sit up abruptly, causing Niall to jolt up with me.

"What?" He asks, looking around in alarm.

I laugh lightly at his reaction, "Sorry. We're fine, I just forgot where we were."

"Oh," Niall exhales before falling back onto his pillow.

I stretch a little before I roll over and stand up. I glance in the mirror and flinch at the state of myself. I start running my fingers through my hair, trying to get the knots out, but it's useless. I groan, giving up and throwing my hair into a ponytail. I look out the window and can tell it is early from the way the sun is just peeking over the houses. I almost forgot about the storm last night until I look down and see the impact the storm had. My eyes widen as I see the Sycamore tree in the front yard fell over, along with other much smaller trees and plants. Random objects and pieces of trash now litter the streets and I notice a lot more walkers than usual.

"I'm going to go check on the other two," I announce but when I look over, Niall's already sleeping again.

I tip-toe out of the room and walk down the hall. The door to where Luke and Ashton slept is open and I notice the room is vacated. I walk down the stairs and I see Ashton sitting by the kitchen counter alone, tapping a beat out on the table with his fingers. He turns around and his face lights up when he sees me, "Good morning."

"Morning," I smile, "How'd you sleep?"

"Terribly," He admits and I notice the fatigue in his eyes.

"That sucks. Do you know why?" I ask, grabbing my water bottle from where I left it on the table.

I sense his hesitation to answer, which piques my interest.

"Luke has some...difficulties with sleeping," He starts, but then clarifies, "He tends to have a lot of nightmares."

My head cocks to the side in curiosity, "What do you mean?"

Before Ashton can answer, Luke comes walking into the room with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Look who finally woke up," He says in an unamused tone.

"What time is it?" I ask, suddenly concerned that it's a lot later than I thought it was.

"6:18. We woke up about twenty minutes ago. He's just being a pain in the ass," Ashton replies after checking his watch.

"Per usual," I say and roll my eyes.

Luke ignores our jab and questions, "Where's Niall?"

"Still sleeping," I simply reply.

"Go wake him up. We're leaving," Luke commands.

Ashton swiftly stands up, "Don't worry, I got it."

He leaves the room before I get to say anything. I turn to face Luke, deciding to ask him the question I asked Ashton earlier.

"So...How did you sleep?" I awkwardly ask.

"Fine," He bluntly replies, not making eye contact with me.

"Me too," I nod and contemplate pushing the conversation about his nightmares, "I'm just glad I could fall asleep during the storm. It was pretty bad out there last night."