Chapter 36: Axe

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Erica's POV-

"What are the odds that we find Australian and British people during the apocalypse?" I ask as Kyleigh and I prepare dinner. Nothing like rice and canned meat to fill your stomach. The worst part about rationing foods is not having anything substantial for the morning. We all decided to have our one meal a day at night cause that's when we are most hungry. Everyone slightly gets hangry but most of the time it's pretty entertaining.

As we start plating the meals Calum and Ashton come rushing inside scaring the crap out of us, "Where's my best friend?" Calum asks running into the kitchen. I go to smile but he puts an arm around Kyleigh as she laughs.

"Now that's just rude," I state as Luke walks in holding supplies. Kyleigh walks over and plants a kiss on his lips as we all sit down. The rest of the group doing their own thing.

"How much did you guys get done today?" I ask as Calum sets his knife down on the table. I glare at him and he says sorry before putting it away, "No one wants a bloody knife on their dining room table," I point out.

"Babe, hate to break it to you but none of us have showered in like.....forever so hygiene is out the window," he says making me roll my eyes.

"Woah is that trouble in paradise I see," Ashton teases making us shake our heads laughing. Throughout dinner, the guys update us on the construction of a secure wall for a walkway. It should be nice but the noise of the hammer is attracting more zombies than we anticipated. Two or three of us have to stand guard all day just to make sure we are safe but it's worth it in the end. Anything to feel safe.

"We ran into the one British guy today and he was very talkative," Ashton says making Kyleigh laugh.

"Let me guess blonde hair and looks like he would be called Reece," she asks. He nods his head and now I really want to meet them. They sound like cool guys but can we trust them? I didn't like hearing about him pointing a gun at my best friend's head but maybe I can get past that, "I'm gonna go check on the progress, I'll be right back," I tell them as I grab my knife. They all tell me to be careful as I shut the door and head outside. I grab a flashlight from the porch before stepping down. The moonlight isn't much help in guiding my way. As I take a look around I can see some beer cans lying around and smile as I pick them up. At least they had a good time while helping to secure our houses. I glance at the other group's house and see nothing that would give away our position either which is reassuring. I hear rustling leaves in the distance and look over, shining the flashlight. I almost scream when I see a small group of walkers making their way through the branches and high grass. I quickly turn off the flashlight and sneak inside not trying to alert them with loud footsteps. When I close the door Calum walks over with his hands up to wrap me in his arms but I put my finger to my lips. He raises his eyebrows and I point outside and motion for the walkie.

"There is a large group of zombies outside of the house. Stay Quiet. Repeat walkers stay quiet," I say into the walkie. We all get our weapons and move to the upper level of the house after securing the doors. Calum and Ashton pushed the couch against the front door while Kyleigh and Luke propped the table up in the back. I guess nowhere is completely zombie free. I hear some static coming from the walkie in my hand and put it closer to my ear.

"Stay safe," Jensen says as we settle upstairs. We decide to share one bedroom and block the door with the dresser. Ashton and Luke sit against the headboard as Kyleigh sits on top of the dresser. I open the blind a crack and look out seeing a steady stream of walkers moving to the main street.

"I hope Reece and Blake are okay," Kyleigh says.

"I didn't even get to see your work but I did see the cans of beer all over the place," I state making the guys freeze with not-so-innocent smiles.

"You guys were drinking while we were hard at work?" Kyleigh asks with an amused laugh.

"In our defense....there is no defense........yes we were," Luke says making everyone laugh quietly. Calum holds his hand out for me and I take it as I sit down. His chest rising and falling at a steady pace makes it hard to not fall asleep, but the fear of being attacked is much stronger.

"You okay?" Calum whispers in my ear as everyone continues talking in hushed tones. I lean my body more onto him and he laughs lightly, "Everyone is okay, get some rest," he tells me.

"I'm gonna check the window one last time," I tell him as I get up from the floor. Everyone gets quiet as I open the blinds and wait for me to say something. My heart drops as I see flames coming from the house next door. I freeze and everyone stands up to see what's happening. My eyes dart down to where two bodies fight to protect themselves against the hoard. I go to run out of the door but Ashton puts his hand on my arm. I turn around and glare at him for slowing me down. Kyleigh and Luke are already moving the dresser as Calum is securing his secondary weapon onto his chest.

"Guys think about this. We could all die to protect two people," Ashton says surprising all of us. After Michael's death he has been more protective of the four of us, but now is not the time to be debating the morally right choice, "They are great people but we are totally outnumbered," he says as he follows after us with his knife. We choose to ignore his scared ramblings and open the front door. I hear a loud scream and we all run over seeing Posey and Dylan backed into a fence. Abigail is on top of a car using her bow to help them but there are too many. Luke and Calum run over and start attacking the ones in the back. Kyleigh and I look at each other with a simple nod and run to help protect our people. There's a loud gunshot and my heart drops to my stomach. I can see Abigail turn in the direction of two guys running down the street.

"It's them," Kyleigh says tilting her head in their direction. I want to feel relieved but it's hard when they keep coming. Posey starts climbing the fence to get away from the zombies. Dylan starts climbing after him but screams as one of them grabs ahold of his leg. Its decomposing mouth bites down into his ankle as he lets out a blood-curdling scream. Posey screams for him as he helps him over the fence.  The air grows cold as everyone starts fighting for their lives including the two British boys risking their livelihood for people they barely know. Dylan's screaming continues as we kill the final few zombies that started coming after us. My eyes stay glued to the blood pouring out of his flesh, the ripped skin laying on the concrete. Luke and Ashton use an axe that was laying from their project to get through the fence. Posey is stuck watching his best friend die in front of him. Blake and Reece stay on guard as we start mourning the life that hasn't been lost yet.

"Watch out," Luke yells as he brings the axe down on his lower calf. Dylan's cries only grow louder as he continues hacking away at the bone with the rusty tool.

"STOP YOU'RE HURTING HIM," Posey yells trying to hide the tears streaming down his face. We hear panicked voices from behind us as we see more walkers moving in through the trees. Blake growls knowing he's in too deep to leave us like this.

"LET'S GO, GRAB HIM," he yells. Posey, Jared, and Jensen pick Dylan up and start following after Blake. Kyleigh and I stay at the back as we keep the stragglers back. I hear a squeaky fence open and turn around to see a walkway that leads to an old cellar. Reece ushers us in and the guys carry him down as Kyleigh, Blake, and I continue fighting off the others.

"Go inside, I'll keep watch," Blake says as Kyleigh and I fight off the last one. I give him an out-of-breath thank you as we follow where the guys went. The silence is almost scarier than his scream. Kyleigh pushes a curtain over and we see Dylan lying there bleeding out on a table. Posey is sobbing on the floor as Abigail holds him.

"I'm sorry," Luke mumbles as he stares at his lifeless body. Kyleigh puts a hand on his shoulder as Jared says it's not his fault, " I thought that would work....I'm sorry," he whispers, as he walks out to get some air behind their fenced-in walls. Kyleigh goes after him but Calum puts a hand on her shoulder stopping her.

"Give him time," he whispers. She nods her head and we all stand there not realizing tonight would be another night we lost a friend. The day seemed so peaceful....how could this even happen?