Chapter 79: Missing Jewlery

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--

"You're kidding," I say while walking into the living room. Luke is staring at Kyleigh like she has three heads.

"She's not kidding," Reece says walking into the room with Thomas on his back. I open my arms on the couch and grunt as he jumps on top of me.

"A dance? Like middle school?" I ask still not believing it.

"That's what I thought too," she says leaning into Luke's side.

"Would I be in middle school?" Cora asks looking at Luke and Kyleigh.

"No......what age are you in middle school? Like 10 or 12?" Kyleigh asks. I nod my head and Cora just shrugs before walking off to get cleaned up for dinner.

"We can't seriously go to this thing," I tell them as I divvy out the rations for tonight, "Isn't this a little ignorant?" I ask as everyone sits around the table.

"We were fighting for our lives not even a week ago," Luke points out.

Kyleigh shrugs and looks at us, "We can meet more of the community this way. Plus, we deserve a little fun," she says making Cora smile.

"I've never worn a dress before," Cora says arguing to go to the party, "This will be fun Aunt E," she says pointing her fork at me.

"I'm not denying it will be fun. I just don't think we should go," I tell them feeling guilty. Luke looks at me confused by my apprehension as I push around the food on my plate.

At the end of dinner, Ashton and Reece rush the kids up to bed. There's a knock on the door and I quickly get up to get it but Kyleigh is already halfway there, "Are you okay?" Luke asks as I nod my head.

"It's fine. I just feel...I don't know the word.....I feel like dirty for enjoying life like this while other people are out there dying," I tell him.

"We have spent our fair share of time out of these walls. It's a break from reality," he says as Kyleigh walks back into the room with Brenton.

"What's up?" Luke asks standing up from the table. He walks out of the room with the other Australian as I look at Kyleigh for some kind of answer.

"He just showed up saying he needed to talk to Luke," she says as we start cleaning up the table.

"It sucks not being involved in the conversations anymore. Remember when you were the leader of our small group?" I ask smiling at the memories.

"Yes. I also remember Luke and I at each other's throats," she says making us laugh.

"That was just some sexual tension," I point out as she whacks me with the towel. I gasp as the water hits my chest making my shirt wet. I grab another towel wiping off the excess when I realize my necklace is gone. I panic looking around the counter and seeing if it just fell off but it's not there.

"What's going on?" She asks looking around at the ground.

"My necklace with Calum's ring is gone," I tell her starting to freak out.

"It's here somewhere don't worry," she says looking on the kitchen table, "What did you do today?" She asks.

I try retracing my steps but it's hard to think as the panic takes over, "Luke and I were at the other group's house. We stopped by to see Harry and Simon," I tell her.

"Did you take it off at all?" She asks as I shake my head.

"I don't think so. I'd have no reason to," I point out as Luke and Brenton walk back into the room.

"What's going on?" Luke asks feeling the emotions in the room.

"The ring that Calum gave me is gone. Do you remember me taking it off at all today?" I ask as I pull up the chairs trying to find it.

"Is it a silver chained necklace with a ring on the end?" Brenton asks making me pivot my body in his direction, "Noah found it when we were at Henry's house today. You must have lost it when you got the ingredients for dinner," he says as I widen my eyes.

"Holy shit. Thank you so much," I tell him as he says he will walk me over. I tell Luke and Kyleigh I'll be right back, "If I knew how I'd make Noah a full course meal for finding it," I tell him as he lets out a throaty laugh.

"We were wondering whose it was," he says as I touch my neck where it should be.

"It's the only piece of jewelry I've ever owned that I've cared about," I tell him as we turn down the street.

"Must be special then," he says while walking up the steps of Henry's house. He leads me to a small room off to the side where I see the necklace lying on a desk.

"Did you find out if the new group is going to the party?" Henry asks walking into the room. His eyebrows rise on his forehead as he sees me standing in his house, "Sorry I didn't expect any guests," he says putting a smile on his face.

"Sorry to barge in. But this means a lot to me," I tell him as I clasp the necklace around my neck.

"I'm happy we found the owner. It looked important," he says turning to Brenton, "So would that be a yes to the party?" He asks us. Brenton looks at me and I feel pressured to say yes.

"We were actually talking it over during dinner. I was thinking of picking up a watch tower shift," I tell him coming up with an excuse.

"Nonsense. You have to go. Everyone will be there and some of the other members of our community would love to get to know you," he says as I bite the inside of my cheek.

"Then sure. Our group will be there," I tell him as he claps his hands together with joy. He gives us a final look before walking back to his office. I turn to Brenton and he just smirks.

"That didn't take much convincing," he says making me roll my eyes.

"Maybe I just want to see all my friends dressed up and happy," I tell him as he walks me to the door.

"I'd like to see you in a dress again," he says making me widen my eyes, "Not like that," he says as we both laugh, "I mean it's nice seeing what you would be like if none of this happened," he says motioning his hands around.

"Well, I can assure you, I would have never been caught dead in a dress," I tell him with a smile. He leans on the stairs of the patio and stands with me at the bottom, "I should get back," I tell him glancing behind us.

"I will see you tomorrow then," he says as I nod my head.