Chapter 73: rambo

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--
"Are you not eating?" Luke asks as he stops right before the dirt meets a frozen-over pond. My gaze stays stuck on the ice that's shining in the low lighting, "Cause you to know how much Thomas loves rabbits," he says with a small laugh.

"I saw some deer tracks not too far from here. I'll try and make it back before the sun goes down," I tell him as I start walking off again. My movements pause when I hear a twig snap behind me. As I turn around he gives me a weak smile, "That wasn't an invitation".

He groans and jogs ahead, stopping me from moving any further, "You're done for the night. Pack is up Rambo," he says pointing to the cabin. His hands grab the bow from me, before slinging it over his shoulder.

"Did you finish Rambo? Cause I'm pretty sure the people that underestimated him regretted it," I point out as he walks off without saying another word, "Luke," I plead, grabbing his shoulder to stop him, "I can't go in there and you know it".

"Why? Cause your family is in there and you can't stand to see them worried about you. Thomas needs you. Not Ashton. Not Reece. You," he tells me.

"I can't even help myself. How am I supposed to help him?" I whisper as he drops the bow onto the ground. He lets out a deep breath and pulls me in for a hug, trying to calm me down, "I know you're right. Every time I leave in the morning it breaks my heart to see him shiver in the cold. He never used to shiver like that when Blake was here," I tell him as my voice breaks at the end.

"Then stop leaving," he says, "Go out with Kyleigh. Or wait until someone else can go out instead," he adds.

"I don't want anyone else to die. I have been hunting for years. I'm the best and fastest," I point out as I pull away from his hug.

"But you're fine with dying? Your logic is flawed and you know it. No one is telling you to move on but we are telling you, you're not alone," he tells me as he puts his hands on my shoulders.

"Stop being all big brotherly. It makes it hard to push you away," I tell him as he laughs, "But I still want to get that deer. Everyone is starving and we need it," I tell him as I bend down to pick the bow up from the ground.

"Let me come with you. You'll need help carrying it and the others won't be on edge if you're with someone," he says as I eye him suspiciously.

"You better not slow me down," I threaten as he follows behind me with a giddy smile.

"Mom," Thomas announces and he runs to the door. I drop to my knees and pull him into a hug, the warmth of the fire defrosting my limbs, "I saved you some rabbit," he says pulling away with a big smile. I widen my eyes and he runs over to Ashton. I get back onto my feet and help Luke carry the dead animal to the porch.

"Holy shit," Ashton says getting scolded by Luke, "Sorry but those rabbits barely did anything," he says getting scolded by me.

"I'll start a fire outside," Kyleigh says as Cora stares at the animal with wide eyes and an empty stomach.

"Beat'cha there," Cora says as she zooms outside pushing Luke to the side. I can practically see the wind blowing around her as she races out the door. Kyleighs looks at me with an amused smile as passes by. Her hand squeezing my shoulder before she walks out.

"Come get warm," Reece says holding a blanket open as Thomas walks over with a small piece of rabbit, "Ashton might have eaten some of your portion," he says as I scoff.

"You ate my portion without even knowing we got the deer. That's just rude," I tell him as I pick up Thomas and walk over to the couch, "I get some of your deer then," I tell him as he rolls his eyes. Reece laughs as Ashton snuggles closer to him on the couch. Luke sits down on the other couch that's in front of the fire, his hands resting on his knees to warm them. Thomas breaks out into a theatrical yawn as he lays his head on my chest.

"Why don't you get some sleep buddy," I whisper rubbing the back of his head, "I can wake you up when the food is done," I tell him as he sleepily nods his head. Luke nods his head towards a door off to the side. He stands up from the couch and opens the door for me as I walk with Thomas in my arms. When I lay him down his nose scrunches as the cold seeps in through the window cracks. I shrug off my jacket, laying it over him as he snuggles up. The two of us tiptoe out just as Cora walks in.

"I forgot how boring cooking was," she says jumping over the couch and stealing the spot Luke was just in, "Mom said she misses brownies but what is that?" She asks making all of us widen our eyes. That might be the saddest thing I have ever heard from that little girl's mouth.

"Brownies were like tiny square pieces of heaven in chocolate form," Ashton says with sadness evident in his voice, "You, my friend, are missing out," he says making the young girl frown.

"I've had chocolate once and it was expired," She says as Kyleigh walks inside shivering from the cold. There are tiny flecks of snow in her hair as she shuffles back and forth to warm up.

"Have I mentioned how much I hate winter now? Cause this fucking sucks," she says making us all laugh as Luke covers Cora's ears, "Who wants to help me?" she asks with an open-mouthed smile and wide eyes. Everyone turns to the person they are next to and fakes a conversation. My head drops as she puts her hands on my shoulders to drag me outside.

"You make it seem like I'm the worst person to hang out with," she says as I slowly get up from my seat. When she sees my smile she happily pulls me outside as the rest of the group watches amused. As soon as we step outside the cold air smacks me in the face, "Let's hurry so we don't run into any creepy dudes," she says making me laugh.

"Creepy dudes?" I ask as we bend over to pick up the deer's body. Right as she starts talking the door opens and Luke is walking out with Thomas trailing behind him.

"He was scared you ran off to hunt," Luke whispers as he walks closer. Thomas runs into my arms sniffling, making my heart shatter.

As I rub his back his sniffles start to die down, "It's okay buddy. I'm right here," I whisper as I look at Kyleigh and Luke. Luke nods his head telling me to go inside as he bends down to help Kyleigh with dinner, "Did you have a nightmare?" I ask as he shakes his head. He sits down on the edge of the bed looking embarrassed as he plays with the bedding, "Talk to me T. What's going on?" I ask as I nudge his shoulder.

"I just hate when you leave," he says staring at the floor, "when I woke up I thought you'd be next to me," he says turning his head to look at me.

"I promise I'll never leave you. You're stuck with me pal," I tell him as she lets out a shaky breath. I put my arm around his shoulders.

"That's what Dad used to say," he whispers as he leans his weight into my side. My brain goes empty as he mentions his father for the first time since it's happened. The only thing I can think to do is pull him closer. What do you say to a boy who lost his father? I kiss the top of his head whispering a small, "I love you," as he slowly drifts back to sleep. His body relaxes when he realizes I'm not going anywhere. When his soft snores start to fill the room I lay back letting him cuddle into my side under the blanket. A small breeze coming in through the crack in the window. Throughout the night the rest of the group remains silent after dinner. Luke brought in a plate for me so I could stay with Thomas. I felt bad for taking the bed but the team said I earned it for bringing back dinner. Hopefully, we can continue to find animals....the only thing we need now is water.