Chapter 44: unexpected relations

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Erica's POV-

"We are pretty good at this aren't we?" I ask tossing the hammer on the ground to catch my breath. Mr. Davidson looks at us with a forced smile as we look at the shitty section of the fence they left me to put up. I turn and see Ashton's side looks perfect and roll my eyes, "Okay fine. It's not terrible," I state.

"I'm going to go check on my kids....don't ruin anything," he says making Ashton laugh. I huff as I sit down against a tree and Ashton joins me.

"Maybe you should leave the fence to Reece and me. Our past sections were pretty good and we didn't even have a carpenter to help us," he says making me nod my head in agreement.

"Fine...I have to go to the front. It's my turn to protect us from the creeps," I say hesitantly getting up from the grass. He holds his hands out and I struggle to lift him up, "You want to stay on watch with me tonight? Kyleigh might bail to be with Lukey Pookie," I ask as we start walking to the front.

"As much as I love you absolutely not," he says making me frown.

"Watch alone is so boring," I complain as we see the cars pull up.

"You don't know for sure you'll be alone," he says. We jog over and see two generators in the back of the truck and happy faces all around.

"We tested them out and they work. Since we don't have many chords we are going to put one in our house. Then one in their house," Luke says running over to give us hugs.

"Won't the other residents get upset?" I ask as walk over to help them unload.

"We are the medical houses and the leaders of this place. We give them food and water, I think they can handle it," Blake says making me laugh at his crassness. He nods his head and I join him in the truck to bring the other generator to their house. Ashton and Reece hop in the back and we tell them we will be back soon.

"Anything happen while you were out?" I ask. He shrugs his shoulders and says a quick "not much" before parking in their driveway. The guys carry in the heavy stuff as I grab the chords and the gas containers.

"How hard do you think it would be to set up some solar power shit out here? Gas is bound to run out so we should start thinking of that in the meantime," Ashton says.

"That's actually really smart"

"I don't like how surprised you sounded," he says making us all laugh. They put the generator near the fuse box and soon the lights turn on in their house. We all jump around excited and walk around the house turning off the appliances that turned on automatically. I unplug all unessential things that will drain the power and we all meet back in the living room.

"Where's Reece?" Ashton asks as a loud crash comes from upstairs. We quickly run after it with our weapons drawn and see him passed out on the floor. Blake runs over tapping his face as Ashton and I clear the bed.

"What happened today?" I ask as we help lift our friend into the bed. He ignores my questions as he searches Reece's arms and legs for bites.

"When's the last time he slept?" Ashton asks seeing the dark circles under his eyes.

"He was on watch last night," Blake says making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"He was on watch the night before that," I tell him remembering the list from when I looked at it earlier.