Chapter 56: Any Day Now

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

I finish painting the last section of the wall as Erica walks in.

"Hey, I brought you some fruit," Erica says.

"Thanks," I smile, placing the paint roller on the ground, "You can put it on the table."

She places the food down before saying, "Shit, Kyleigh. You should open a window or something. The smell of paint in here is suffocating."

"Is it bad I kind of like it?" I laugh, but open a window anyway.

"Yes," Erica laughs, "The room looks really good though," She says, looking around in appreciation. Over the past few months, we have all worked really hard to get ready for the baby. We decided to pick the room right next to Luke and I's room, and we have been working to babyproof it. The crib is in our room since the baby will obviously be with us for a while, but we have been collecting any toys, books, diapers, stuffed animals, and clothes we can find and placing it in the spare room.

"Thanks," I smile, "Once this wall dries, I can do the finishing touches, and then we'll finally be ready."

"I can't believe it has already been eight months," Erica says.

"I know. Time has flown by," I say, resting my hand on my prominent baby bump.

"I'm surprised Luke hasn't freaked out at you working this much on the room," Erica says with raised eyebrows.

"He thinks I'm taking a nap," I admit, biting my lip, "I may have told him he could finish the walls later, but now that it's done with, he'll just have to accept it."

Erica shakes her head with a smile before her watch beeps, "Shit. I have a training lesson I completely forgot about. Are you coming down soon?"

"Yeah, I'll stop by," I nod.

"Cool. See you later," She smiles before leaving the room.

I sigh as I grab the plate of fruit and sit down. Doing even the simplest tasks while pregnant feels like an insane amount of work. But as I look around at the freshly painted blue walls, I know it's going to be worth it. Luke and I have been coming up with some baby names, but since we still don't know the gender, it's all up in the air.

Once I finish eating, I stand up and head downstairs. I place the dish in the sink and decide to go check in on everyone. I have been trapped in a stuffy room all day, so it will definitely be nice to get some fresh air. I first walk over to the training unit since it's the closest area.

When I finally arrive, I first spot Erica training her group. She has taken on the task of training people how to fight with knives, which is arguably one of the most important skills. I watch in admiration as she teaches her group to aim at the target before throwing the knife and having it land in the dead center of a target. Everyone looks equally shocked and impressed as she goes and pulls the knife out like nothing even happened. I smile, remembering how she told me Calum taught her how to throw knives like that in the early days.

I move on to the next area, which is archery. We hit a goldmine a few months ago, finding around 15 new bows. Since then, Jensen has become an expert with a bow and arrow and took it upon himself to teach a new set of people. I watch as the group all get in formation at Jensen's direction, before pulling back the arrow, and releasing it. I'm impressed as all the arrows land on their respective targets, with a few even hitting bullseye. Jensen notices me watching and gives a happy wave. I smile and wave back before heading to the next training area, which is defense.