Chapter 72: Cabin in the Woods

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

It's been three days since Blake died. The group has been traveling somewhat aimlessly through the woods with minimal conversation, only speaking when necessary. The weather keeps getting colder and colder, making matters somehow even worse. The events of the past 36 hours hang over us like a dark cloud, and I can tell that almost everyone is beginning to lose hope.

Luke nudges my shoulder and nods his head toward Reece, who is shoving his hands in his pockets and trying his best to show that he's not shivering. Two days ago, Reece gave his winter coat to Thomas, and we haven't been able to find a decent clothing store or house to scavenge. With how cold it is outside, I don't know how he's even made it this far.

"I'm thinking we should stop for the night," I say, breaking the silence and causing everyone to jump a little.

Reece turns back to look at me, and it's obvious he knows my intentions.

"We don't need to. I'm fine to keep going," Reece comments.

"We don't need you getting sick," Luke declares, "Plus, we don't have an actual destination. We'll stop for the day and hopefully we can find you warmer clothing."

"We should just keep going," Reece shakes his head as his breath forms a cloud in front of him, "You guys don't need to worry about me."

"It looks like there's some kind of building over there," Cora randomly speaks up, pointing at a structure in the distance.

We all turn to see where she's pointing and see a small building, but it's still a fair distance away.

"Perfect. We'll head in that direction, and if it's safe enough, we'll stop for the night. If not, we'll keep walking," I offer.

"I vote for that idea," Ashton nods.

"I don't know," Reece hesitates, his eyes traveling over to Erica, "Are you okay with stopping, E?"

Erica's head snaps up, shocked by being brought into the conversation. It's clear that she was disassociating, and it takes her a few seconds to recall the question.

"Uh. Sure," She finally replies. Reece nods, but I see the concern in his eyes from her distant behavior.

The group changes the route we were on and starts heading toward the building. Another silence falls upon us, and no one says a word until we arrive at the building, which turns out to be a cabin.

"I can't tell if finding a cabin in the middle of the words is terrifyingly ominous or fate," Ashton says.

"I'm hoping for fate," Reece replies as we walk up the few stairs. He twists the doorknob, but it doesn't budge.

"Of course," Reece frowns.

"Should we kick down the door?" Ashton asks, but we all know that's not a great option.

"Maybe there's a back door?" I suggest, "Or an open window?"

Before we even get the chance to check, Cora pushes past all of us and reaches for the doorknob. Suddenly, the lock clicks, and she pushes the door open with ease.

We all look in somewhat shock before Cora turns around and holds up a key.

"What? I found it underneath a knocked over flower pot at the bottom of the stairs."

A grin spreads across Luke's face as he ruffles her hair, "I swear you're the best survivalist out of the lot of us, Cora."

She smiles at the praise, and the group doesn't waste another second as we all head inside and lock the door behind us. It's a relatively small cabin with only one floor, so it doesn't take long to check the place out and make sure it's safe.