Chapter 57: Seven Years Later

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--

"Come on Luke. She's about to be eight years old and we have trained her in everything she needs to know," I tell him as I follow him throughout the house. My kid has gone outside of these walls already. It was terrifying at first but he was okay when he realized Blake and I were right there.

"No....it's too dangerous. Did you forget about last month's incident? He says as he jogs downstairs. I roll my eyes at him bringing up the store that had more than we could handle. Thomas was with us and he was scared but he was completely safe. Sometimes the only option you have is to run. We named Blake and our son after Calum. It was Blake's idea to honor him like that. So I used his middle name, Thomas. It suits him.

"Luke, come on. You know she can handle it," I argue. He continues walking and I continue fighting, "Kyleigh thinks it's a good idea. She can't stay cooped up in here forever. It's not safe to keep her closed off to what's out there," I tell him. He goes to talk back but Kyleigh walks in carrying a basket of apples as Cora shuts the door behind her. It still blow my mind how similar she looks to Kyleigh but with Luke's blue eyes.

"Dad, look at this new knife trick uncle Blake showed me," she says as she runs over to Luke. I can see the uneasy look in his eyes as she twirls it around in her hand before the handle lands back in her hand.

"Woah, you're gonna be killing walkers in no time," I say staring at Luke. He gives me a tired look and I stand my ground.

"She's ready," Kyleigh says resting a hand on his chest, "We will all be there in case anything goes wrong but she is," She adds. He squats down in front of their daughter as he scratches the side of his beard.

"Are you ready?" He asks. She immediately nods her head yes. It's not like she talks about going outside of these walls every day. He goes to give her a hug but grabs her waist and brings her into the air making her laugh and scream, "Expect the unexpected," he says before tickling her sides. As he sets her back down and backs away he lets out a deep sigh.

"I guess tomorrow is as good a day as any to start real training," he says making all of us smile. I give the smaller girl a fist bump and tell them I'm gonna spread the good news.

"Thomas and I are gonna be protecting this place when you guys get old," she says holding her knife like a sword. Kyleigh smiles and puts her actual katana on the table. We managed to find this old pawn shop a couple miles up the road. It has come in handy and Kyleigh has always wanted one so we figured it was only fair she took the weapon. I tell them I'll be back later and jog up the road in the direction of our house. I try and say hi to a few people but intimately rush inside Reece, Ashton, Blake, Thomas, and I's house. We figured the small family would want a house of their own but Blake and I wanted to stay in a full house. Jensen moved into a smaller house with Bailee since they seem to hit it off so well pretty recently actually. Now everyone in our small community is sharing a house or branched off to the neighborhood nearby. The fencing needs some repairs since Winter just ended but for now, it should hold.

"What's up?" Reece asks as he makes a fresh salad from the ingredients in the garden. I jump around on both my feet before jumping at the feeling of someone's hand on my side. I turn around and Blake gives me a quick kiss as Thomas walks into the room with his toy car he never lets go of. I pick up my little man and give him a kiss on the cheek. He shakes his head and grimaces at the kiss making the guys laugh.

"He's a big boy now. Can't have you embarrassing him in front of his friends," Reece says with a small smile. When my smile quickly returns they all just stare at me confused. Thomas puts his truck down and does the same.