Chapter 62: Turned

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

"It's been three days. How are they not getting any better?" Reece asks, impatiently tapping his foot.

"We barely know anything about this virus. I mean, how are Blake and Luke in there, but Kyleigh and I are fine? How has Ashton been dealing with infected people for days and he's still unaffected? None of this shit makes sense," Erica replies.

"Don't jinx it," Reece groans, slouching back in his chair.

"We must be immune for some reason. There's no other logical explanation," I voice.

"I'm worried about Bailee, too," Jensen says, "I know Ashton needs the help, but I hate that I haven't been able to see her in days. I just wish there was something we could do to help both of them."

"We've done about all we can do. We brought back the medicine and Ashton has been giving out doses. I don't know what else would help," Erica says.

"Is the medicine even working? Has Ashton told you anything?" Jensen asks me.

"Actually, I talked to him this morning. It seems like it's hit or miss. The Davidson kid is apparently a lot better than she used to be, but for others, there has been no change in their symptoms," I inform them.

"As long as it's helping some people, that's more than we can ask for. We couldn't expect a 100% success rate," Reece replies.

"Ashton is really worried about Mr. and Mrs. Davidson, though. Apparently they have only been getting worse. They still have a fever, they're still coughing up blood, and they refuse to eat anything," I explain, "We talked through it, and we think that once the virus gets to the point where you cough up blood, there's no going back."

"That's terrifying," Erica says.

"I hate to ask, but what happens if it is too late for them? If they die, they'll turn, won't they?" Jensen asks and I nod.

"A decent amount of the community is in there," Reece says in realization, "What if someone does turn? There are so many people in there, and most of them are too weak to even defend themselves."

My mind flashes to Luke. It has killed me not to see him the last few days. I have tried to visit him, but Ashton always kicks me out right away, and I know he's doing the same for Erica and Blake. He has assured us that they're both in a good enough condition and that he would immediately let us know if anything changes.

I look at the kitchen table where Cora and Thomas are laughing as they play a board game. I'm glad they're having fun and found a way to distract themselves. It breaks my heart every time either one of them asks for their dads, and Erica and I have to pretend like they're completely fine.

Even though I believe Luke could handle himself, the fear of something going wrong does linger in my mind. I realize that I zoned out a little bit, missing a part of the conversation.

"Maybe we could clear out another house? We can move some of the patients to another area so that people are more spaced out," Jensen suggests.

"Yeah, Bailee and Ashton could both take control over a different area, just in case anyone needs anything. It would definitely be a better set-up than what we have now," Reece replies.

"Sounds like we have our plans set out for us tomorrow," Jensen nods, "We should get some rest."

"Way ahead of you," I say, stifling back a yawn, "Come on, Cora. It's time for bed."