Chapter 77: Glamorous Living

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--

"Where are the kids?" I ask walking into the living room where the group is gathered. Jensen motions me over to the window, pushing the curtains out of the way. A smile adorns my face once I see them running around with the friends they've quickly made. Brenton's son is laughing at something Thomas said as Brenton watches them from a bench off to the side, "What have I missed?" I ask turning back to the group.

Luke lets out a tired smile as he leans into the couch. Kyleigh is stitching up Cora's jacket, the material on the arm must have gotten caught in a branch, "Henry wanted to meet us. He invited us over for a proper dinner party," She says putting the needle down as she cuts the leftover thread.

"This is insane, right?" Ashton asks as Reece holds his arm in his, "A dinner party? We could barely manage to find anything out there and now we are celebrating," He points out.

"Shouldn't you be embracing it then?" Jensen asks eyeing up his skepticism, "It will be fun and you guys will finally understand why this place is still running," He tells us.

"I'm excited to meet him," Kyleigh says as Luke side-eyes her, "He looks like a nice guy and he clearly cares about the community," She adds.

"Are the kids invited?" I ask turning to look out the window again, "I'm not into the idea of Thomas being there if things hit the fan," I tell them.

"I'll stay back and keep an eye on them. I'm not really feeling up for a dinner party," Reece says as Ashton squeezes his hand. I give him a thankful smile before grabbing an apple off the table. Everyone carries on with their normal conversation as I walk outside to see Thomas. When he sees me walking out of the house he runs over to give me a hug.

"How did you sleep?" I ask as he gives me an out-of-breath thumbs up, "Having fun?" I ask. Instead of answering he runs off again joining the other kids. I start walking over to Brenton and he makes some room on the bench.

"Will you be at this welcoming dinner?" I ask before biting into the fruit.

"I will be. I hope you like dog," he says making me choke on the piece I'm chewing on. He turns to me and laughs as he tells me he was joking. I glare at him as he continues laughing while watching the kids.

"I was one second away from packing out bags and running out of this place," I tell him as he nods his head, "But what is on the menu?" I ask feeling the hunger rising even though it's hours away.

"I'm not sure. Henry always tries to make something new with whatever ingredients he has when new people come in," He informs me.

"What can't he do? He cooks, scavenges, runs a community, and manages to have everyone love him? I don't buy it," I tell him as leaves rustle from beside us.

"I'm sorry I don't come off as a trustworthy guy," He says making me freeze in my spot. When I turn around he's wearing a dark jacket and his hands are buried in his pockets. His nose is red from the cold air surrounding us.

"I feel like I was just caught by the superintendent, " I tell him as I stand up from the bench. He puts his hand out and I go to shake it but end up pressing my half-eaten apple into his outstretched hand, "I'm just gonna pretend this isn't happening," I say trying not to sink into the ground below me.

"It's nice to meet you....." He says trailing off as he asks for my name.

"Erica. That little guy over there," I tell him pointing out Thomas, " Is my son," I say with a smile.