Chapter 49: friends with benefits

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--

I flop down on the couch feeling the dried sweat stick to my body, "Why the fuck was I volunteered for this shit? It's been days and people still suck at this," I groan turning on my side to see Luke rolling his eyes.

"It wasn't that bad," he says making me scoff, "Wasn't that bad? I don't recall you getting smacked upside the head by a fucking stick cause a bitch couldn't control their fake weapon," I complain.

"She apologized and you're fine. Think about how much progress we made today. While Blake and Reece went out to find ammunition, you bettered our Community," he says with a sickly sweet smile. I see Kyleigh walk in and ask her to get this thing she calls a boyfriend away from me.

"How was training?" She asks sitting on his side as he puts an arm around her shoulder. I see him whisper something in her ear and they both look at me laughing.

"What? What happened?" I ask not being able to control my nosy nature.

"Your bandana slipped a little," Kyleigh says making my throat dry up.

"I told you. I was cut and it left a bruise from the pressure. It wasn't a secret," I tell them getting unconvinced expressions at my continued lie.

"Is it who we suspect?" Luke asks.

"Okay breadstick listen up. I don't know why it's so hard for you to believe that this is a real bruise," I tell him making him put his arms up in defense.

"I just think it wouldn't be such a bad thing if that was what we thought it was," he says.

"If what was what?" Reece asks walking in with a basket of miscellaneous supplies. We all say nothing before asking what he got, "I got some seeds for planting more food. Blake is driving up with some wood now," he says as we hear a car door slam shut.

"That's sounds like a shitty sexual joke," I tease making the boy leave without saying anything. I turn to the couple and they have the same blank stare as he did, "it wasn't even that bad," I argue walking out to help unload supplies. I go to grab some wood with Blake but he mutters something before walking away.

"What's up with you two? Ever since the hoard broke our walls it's been weird," Reece says.

"Maybe he's just tired. I'm not sure," I tell him as we grab some planks together. Kyleigh walks out shortly after and helps carry the final pieces as Blake walks off without saying anything.

"What's his deal?" Kyleigh asks.

"No idea," I lie feeling guilty that night ever happened, "What's happening tonight? Anything fun?" I ask feeling the exhaustion take over my body.

"Nope, just a boring night. Do we know who's on watch tonight?" Kyleigh asks as we walk to the signup sheet. We see the twins signed up for another night in a row and start walking back to the house.

"So how was your night with Ashton? Does he snore?" Kyleigh asks making him laugh.

"He does kind of but it was fun. He's a cool guy and we have definitely grown closer these past couple months," he says making me smile without him realizing I know the truth.

"It's always nice to have good friends during something like this," Jensen says as him and Reece glance at each other. Does Jensen know?

We walk along the fence and check out all of the people outside today. It's weird how this feels so close to normal life. I didn't expect so many people to help out today, "Erica, do you mind running to our house to grab some vegetables I left over there. Jensen and I are gonna start on dinner," Reece says as we start heading back. I nod my head and start walking over and take the long way to see the fencing. As it goes down it gets better since the guys had way more people to help. The goal is to have 2 people on watch at all times, one in the front and one in the back. I walk up the front steps of their house and open the door going into their kitchen. I grab the small basket full of whatever we could grow in our garden.

"Reece?" Blake yells down from upstairs. I widen my eyes and try to dip out when he sees me walking to the front door, "What are you doing here?" He asks as I turn around to face him.

"Reece asked me to grab this," I tell him holding up the basket, "Dinner is going to be soon," I tell him going to walk out again.

"Are we just gonna forget it then?" He asks with a laugh. I turn back around and see him going to walk back upstairs. I debate whether I should go follow him to talk or go back to the house. I place the basket down and walk upstairs to his bedroom knowing this is the better option.

"Blake, I thought it was a no strings attached kind of thing," I tell him as he stands in the middle of his room, "I want us to be friends cause I miss hanging out with you but I don't know if I'll be able to love someone like that again," I tell him. He slowly walks over to me before my back is pressed against the door. His hand pushes some hair behind my ear sending chills down my spine.

"I know you feel this," he says motioning between us, "And who said anything about love," he whispers making me look up to meet his eyes. He dips his head down slamming his lips against mine as I wrap my arms around his neck. He puts his hand under my legs having me jump to wrap them around them. The desperation of the kiss is enough to have me locked in his arms.

"What about dinner?" I ask as I pull away. He throws me on the bed and strips his shirt off making me smile as I do the same.