Chapter 21: Taken

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Erica's POV-

"How's the ankle?" I ask Jensen as he walks out of the train car. He gives me a thumbs up joining me at the fire to make breakfast.

"Is everyone ready for the mission today?" He asks, helping me empty some cans into the pot. It's been two weeks since the truth or dare game. Jensen's ankle is pretty much completely healed unless he overdoes it. Michael is also becoming more and more familiar with life without a second hand. It's impressive how positive he is about relearning simple tasks. Ashton and Calum found a shoe store and got him new shoes that don't have laces on them.

"What's cooking good-looking?" Calum says giving me a quick kiss. I fake gag at the comment before passing him a bowl.

"I'm sorry but even I thought that was nasty," Jensen says making us both laugh.

"Ready for the mission?" He asks us.

"Are we still sure splitting up is a good idea? Especially after last time?" I ask.

"It's the best thing for us to do. We have 9 people in our group. The more land we search the better," Jensen points out. I nod my head filling bowls with the little food we have left. It's going a lot faster than we thought but it's worth it to have new friends. I excuse myself for a moment to gather everyone so we don't waste time.

"Knock knock. Time is ticking people we still have to decide who's in what group," I point out. Everyone slowly filters out of the train with their bags walking to the fire. I feel like a parent forcing their kids to get ready for school.

"Who wants to pick the groups?" Jared asks.

"Michael and Jensen are stuck with me so I can keep an eye on their injuries," Ashton says. The pair happily walk over to him like we are choosing dodgeball teams.

"If I'm picked last I'm starting my own team," Calum jokes while finishing his breakfast.

"I choose Abigail and Calum then," Jared says. Calum runs over giving him a crisp high-five with a big smile. Now we have Abigail, Calum, and Jared on one team and Michael, Ashton, and Jensen on the other.

"I'll choose Erica and Kyleigh. I think they would freak out if they were separated from one another," Ashton says making us laugh. We both happily walk over to his side. Calum and I wave goodbye to each other as Jared picks Luke for his team.

The final groups are:

Jared: Luke, Abigail, and Calum

Ashton: Kyleigh, Michael, Jensen, and me

"Is everyone ready? Everyone has their weapons?" Ashton asks. We all make sure we have everything we need before deciding which group takes which path. Its going to be a long day, especially if we find good food and have to lug it back.

"Our group can go this way into town," he says circling the area with his finger, "They will go to the next town over to see what they have to offer. The walkie-talkies won't be able to reach each other because of the distance," Luke announces to everyone.

"Let's get a move on," Jensen says walking over to Jared and giving him a hug. One by one everyone says goodbye just in case it's our last. I start walking away from Calum when he pulls me back for another kiss.

"Stay safe out there," he whispers, wrapping his arms around me.

"I better see you tonight," I tell him walking back to the group. Kyleigh and I wave goodbye as we start walking toward the next town. Ashton is leading us to a shortcut that cuts through the woods.