Chapter 65: Blood and Guts

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--

Blake and I stand in the watch tower and witness Carter leaving the base. I wish it wasn't the only thing we could do...but we have to protect what is ours. As the gate opens and he adjusts the bag on his back we hear voices coming down the street. My heart aches as I see Mrs. Davidson and her son running after him with their bags. I try to go down the ladder but Blake holds onto my shoulder telling me it's her choice.

"Blake, she's going to get her child killed," I point out but he already knows that. I see her look up at me and I can see how hard this is for her. Blake moves his hand off me and lets me climb down.

"I can't stay here where my daughter and husband died.....this is for the best," she says as she wraps her arms around me.

"Good luck...."I whisper as I pull away. I see Kyleigh and Luke standing down the street watching the exchange. I look at her son and he just gives a small smile before the three of them walk out of the walls. This shouldn't be happening. I know everyone is scared but this shouldn't be the way we handle things. I look up at Blake and he nods his head telling me to shut the gates. Reece is standing on the other side and helps me lock them before we head back to the main house.

I slow down to wait for Blake and smile as Reece runs up to greet Ashton. We can only hope that the training we gave them helps them survive in the wild, "What's the plan for tonight?" Blake asks as he slips his hand into mine.

"I know now isn't good timing but I've come to realize no time is," I tell him as his thumb rubs over my knuckles, "I set up a small date night in one of the abandoned houses yesterday but then the Luke thing happened. You asked if I wanted to move into a house just the three of us and I found the perfect house," I tell him. He pulls my hand getting me to stop so he can pull me in for a kiss.

"God, I love you so much," he whispers as he let me lead him toward the house. I go to open the door but he stops me and picks me up bridal style. I laugh as he walks us through the door to show the small spread of food I scavenged. He sets me down but doesn't let me get far as he pulls me in for another kiss, "I hated not being able to kiss you while quarantined," he says squeezing my waist.

"I hated seeing you sick....but that was also a downside," I tease as I sit down on the couch. I grab a strawberry and take a bite relaxing on the couch as he joins me. I pick up another one and feed it to him and he scrunches his eyebrows at how fresh they taste.

"How has Cora been?" Blake asks as we both finish eating and sit back on the couch in each other's arms. I rub his chest as I think about everything that has happened recently.

"She's putting on a brave face....she's really taking after her mom and dad but I think they can tell it's a lot," I tell him. He tells me about Jensen and how he has been ever since Bailee has passed. Now that our camp has become more intense I don't think the funeral will ever happen.

"We haven't really talked about you though," I point out as I sit up in my position on the couch. He pulls me onto his lap resting his hands on my thighs as he lies down.

"There's nothing to talk about," He says.

"You almost died. I'd rather you be freaking out and punching people like Luke than pretending everything is fine," I tell him.

"But I didn't die. I knew you guys would figure out a way to help everyone so I didn't worry about it...I was also passed out half the time," he says with a small laugh, "I think Luke would agree with me when I say you and Kyleigh had it worse," he says as I shake my head. I lean down wrapping my body around, focusing on the sound of his heartbeat. It's become my favorite sound in the world besides Thomas's laughter. He kisses the top of my head and gets comfortable as the candlelight dies down from the table.