Chapter 14: RIP Wawa

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

When I first open my eyes, I completely forget where I am. I groggily lift my head to see Ashton sleeping next to me and Michael next to him. I then fully sit up and look to my right to see Erica and Luke sleeping.

I can't help myself as my eyes linger on Luke's face for a few seconds. He looks really peaceful right now, and I'm glad. Despite him being an asshole 99% of the time, I recognize it was really hard for him to finally leave his childhood home last night. I don't fully know what made him change his mind, but I'm happy he did. Being away from the four boys for a few hours with the mindset of possibly never seeing them again was honestly heartbreaking.

I rub my eyes and stretch a little as exhaustion washes over me. I consider going back to sleep since everyone else is still sleeping, but when I look outside, I can tell the sun is already up. I quietly move to stand up and tiptoe around everyone. I walk over to the door and push it open before shutting it behind me. I immediately see Calum sitting where we had the fire last night. He waves as I walk over to him.

"Morning," He smiles.

"Good morning," I offer a tired smile back, "Where's Niall?"

"He went to take a piss," Calum gestures to the bottom of the hill before asking, "Is anyone else awake?"

"I don't think so," I reply as I sit down across from him.

He nods before asking, "How'd you sleep?"

I shrug, "Considering everything, I slept pretty well."

"That's good," Calum comments, "I was sleeping like a baby until fucking Michael accidentally stepped on my leg while trying to wake me up for my shift."

A foggy memory of waking up to Calum whisper-yelling to Michael springs to mind and I laugh, "Ohhh. That's why I heard you cursing so much last night."

Calum shakes his head, "Yeah, sorry about that by the way."

I hold my hands up, "No, it's a totally understandable reaction. If someone woke me up by stepping on my leg, I don't even know what I'd do."

I'm distracted as I hear footsteps running up behind me. I turn around to see Niall approaching us with a bright smile, "Morning, Kyleigh."

"Hey, Niall," I smile, "How was your shift?"

"With this guy?" Niall smiles and jokingly slaps Calum on the shoulder, "Bloody fantastic. I see why Erica was so smitten with him now. She's a lucky girl."

Niall winks at Calum which makes me laugh but also grimace. All of a sudden, Niall's face lights up and he excitedly adds, "We made up a new handshake, do you want to see?"

"Sure," I say. Niall happily walks over to Calum and the two of them do a series of fistbumps and high fives. When they finally finish their handshake with a fake explosion sound, I clap and give a small cheer.

"That was amazing," I admit which earns two wide smiles.

"We know. We spent almost an hour perfecting it," Calum laughs.

"Geez, an hour?" I repeat with a laugh, "Was there not a lot of activity then?" I ask.

"Not really. We heard stuff from far away, but I only had to kill two walkers," Niall replies.

I nod, "That's good. That means we're not surrounded by the herd yet, but it's not going to stay like that for too much longer. We should probably wake everyone up soon."