Chapter 67: Petty

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--

"I'm cold mom," Thomas says yanking on the edge of my coat. I give him a sad smile before picking him up to hold him closer. The house we were in before wasn't safe and that solidified Jensen's decision to leave. Everyone has been quiet since he's been gone and it's like the group is falling apart.

"Want some help?" Blake asks as he holds his hands out to Tommy. I nod my head after a couple minutes and he slings the boy on his back for a piggyback, "You're getting so big," he says pretending to trip making him laugh. I tell him I'll be right back and run to talk with Luke and Kyleigh. As I get closer they are arguing in hushed tones making me regret leaving my original spot. When Kyleigh sees me her eyes light up and she leaves Luke's side without saying anything.

"Everything all right with you two?" I ask.

"Yeah....we are just talking about what our next moves should be," she says as Cora walks over to her dad to ask him questions, "We are just having a small disagreement," She adds.

"Somethings never change then," I point out making her roll her eyes with a smile, "What was your idea?" I ask.

"I said we should find a house for the night and he said this area is not safe enough," She says.

"You're both right so that's a hard one. But the sun is about to set and we can't be out here. The kids are freezing and we are all exhausted. We could have two people stand watch throughout the night and we can trade off like old times," I offer. She groans as she tells me she's going to try and convince him to have us stop. We continue walking through the small patch of trees, trying to stay camouflaged in our journey. I hide behind a tree and lift my shirt seeing my wound slowly bleeding from the walking. I take some cloth out of my bag to clean up the area around trying to ignore the pain. I push through the throbbing pain and catch up with Blake and Thomas. Blake is pretending to be an airplane as Thomas steers his father by his hair. When Blake sees me walking over he sets Thomas on his feet and tells him to go check on his uncles. We watch him run over to Ashton and Reece as they take his hands to walk together. Kyleigh gives me a thumbs up meaning we are going to find a house for the night.

Within the next two hours, we spot a house, set up inside, and finish dinner. Ashton and Reece offered to stay on the first watch, then Luke and Kyleigh, and Blake and me. Blake and I take a room upstairs as the kids argue to stay in the room next door. They always have to be together but it's nice that our kids get along so well. I lay down next to Blake and we both stare at the ceiling, the only sound filling the room is our breathing and the kids laughing through the walls.

"I miss the base," he says pulling me into his side. I shake my head in agreement as I think of everything we have lost in the past forty-eight hours. I absentmindedly play with the ring around my neck and feel my heart grow heavy as the memory of Calum grows more and more distant, "I'm sorry," he whispers when he sees me playing with it. I drop my hand, resting it on his chest as he rubs my arm, "You don't talk about him anymore," he says wiping a tear from my eye that I didn't even know fell.

"Sometimes I wish our group never left Luke's old neighborhood...we wouldn't have met Harry, Niall would still be here, Michael.....would still be here," I whisper as he kisses the top of my head, "I think fate would have had you and Reece stumble upon our group somehow," I tell him. He smiles at my optimism as I rest on his waist where the fabric has ridden up exposing some skin. He wraps the blanket over me, pulling me closer again making me wince as his hand brushes the terribly wrapped wound. He pulls away quickly and grabs his flashlight shining at where my hand is holding the injury. I hesitantly lift up my shirt as he moves the light to look. He mumbles something under his breath before he gets out of bed to run downstairs. I yank the blankets off me and go downstairs to see Ashton and Reece talking with him. Ashton gives me a look as he motions me over to the small med kit we have.