Chapter 25: Jackpot

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

"Psst. Kyleigh. Are you awake?"

I peep one eye open, not replying. I briefly see Ashton looking at me expectantly before I close my eyes again. I'm way too tired for this right now.

"I saw that," Ashton says.

A small smile appears on my face as I pull the blanket further up to cover my face, "No you didn't."

"Kyleighhhhhhhh. Wake upppppp," Ashton whines.

I turn over on my side to face him, finally opening up both of my eyes, "What do you want, loser?"

"I'm bored," Ashton pouts.

My face falls, "Are you serious? You woke me up to tell me that you're bored?"

A smile spreads across his face again, "Yes."

"Ugh, you suck," I say, throwing a pillow at him, "What time is it anyway?"

He checks his watch, "11:48."

I sit up and stretch, "Oh, it's actually later than I thought it would be."

"Exactly. I've been waiting for you to wake up for forever," Ashton exaggerates. I give him a disbelieving look and he folds, "Fine. So I woke up like ten minutes ago. But no one else is awake yet, and I am bored."

I look at the floor and see Dylan and Tyler still peacefully sleeping. It's been two days since we escaped from that hell house. We know we have to move soon, but with half of our people either injured or exhausted, we decided to take a day to rest. Plus, we were slightly worried that Harry and the rest of that group are still out there looking for us.

"Did you check the bedroom?" I ask.

"Honestly, no. But if anyone was awake, they probably would have come in here," Ashton points out.

I nod, "That's fair."

Erica, Luke, Calum, Jensen, Jared, and Abigail are still staying in the bedroom, while Ashton, Tyler, Dylan, and I took the living room. I yawn before asking, "Okay, fine. Now that I'm up, what do you want to do?"

"Ummmm, I don't know. I didn't think that far ahead," Ashton says. 

I roll my eyes and laugh, "Wow. I'm so glad you decided to wake me up."

"It's been a while since we went scavenging. Maybe we can check out the house next door?" Ashton suggests.

Since Michael's death, Ashton has wanted to stay busy non-stop. I don't know if he went longer than five minutes between yesterday and today without talking or doing something. I recognize that this is his way of coping, which makes my heart feel heavy.

I nod, "Sure."

Ashton excitedly stands up, "Great. I'll go grab my stuff."

I stand up and start grabbing my own supplies while Ashton runs upstairs. I try to be as quiet as possible so as to not wake up either of the boys. I walk to the kitchen and find a piece of paper and a pen to write a quick note, letting everyone know where we're going. I walk over to leave it on the coffee table next to where the guys are sleeping, but I accidentally kick Dylan's leg and stumble forward.

"Oh my God. I am so sorry," I immediately apologize as Dylan groggily wakes up.

Tyler rolls over next to him, "What's happening?"