Chapter 43: supply run

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Erica's POV-

It's been months since everything went down, maybe around April or May. And everyday I still wake up forgetting he won't be next to me. I swear I can still see him every time I close my eyes. But I go on and so does everyone else. The weather has finally gotten better for growing crops again. Reece got to work on that with the help of a few other people that were brought in. Our small group has turned into a small community. The winter was hard with having so many mouths to feed but we are stronger in numbers.

Jensen....he found most of the people we see in these walls. He said that it was Abigail's dream to try and make life worth living again. If we are all being honest that's all we are trying to do. Live our lives the way our friends would have wanted. Make them proud even if they can't tell us themselves. That's why I wear the ring around my neck, to keep Calum in my mind. He didn't want to run from this place so neither will I. He has to have died for something and I'm not willing to let it fall.

I turn the corner toward our settlement and see some of our guys out along the North wall, "Lower your guns it's only me," I yell out of the car window. Blake comes running up to the window eyeing me suspiciously, "I couldn't carry this back home," I tell him, pointing to the dead deer in the back of the truck. He laughs excitedly at the thought of fresh food that's not fish, before hopping in the back and smacking the exterior of the car. I start it up again and park in the driveway of our base.

Ashton comes walking out of the house with a smile that soon falters when he sees I'm back, "What have I told you about leaving without telling anyone?" He yells before he sees the deer, "Holy shit".

"Help Blake unload it," I say getting a glare from him. He doesn't argue as I start heading inside to see what Kyleigh is doing.

"I'm glad you're back," Luke says putting a supportive hand on my shoulder. I give him a small smile and grab some grapes off the counter, "but Ashton is right you have to tell one of us or bring the walkie," he says.

"I can handle myself"

"We know you can but don't be dumb. You know how worried Kyleigh gets," he says, "Why not take someone with you? Some of the new people could use training and it would be better to rely on more people for food," he says making me ponder.

"Fine. I will bring Blake he's technically not a new person but he should learn. Plus he's not as annoying as some of the new people," I tell him making him roll his eyes with a smile.

"What about you and Blake?" Kyleigh asks walking into the kitchen.

"I'm going hunting with him tomorrow," I tell her. Her face turns to Luke and they both just turn away not saying anything, "What the fuck was that?" I ask standing up to chase after them.

"Nothing," she says as she comes to a sudden stop, "but you have to change before we go meet the new people Jensen brought in. There are 2 kids and we don't want to scare them," she says looking at my bloodied clothes.

"Why do we have to meet them?" I ask as she walks with me upstairs.

"Cause we are the "leaders" of this place," she says using air quotes. I nod my head and tell her I'll be right out as I open the blinds and go through my clothes. I put on shorts and one of Calum's shirts before opening the door back up. I can see the smile she's hiding on her face as I fix my shirt in the mirror. It's hard not to think of him every day. The only time people bring him up is when we do something that triggers a memory.