Chapter 3: You Can't Die

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Erica's POV-

"We can't just drop everything and carry this stranger to a place WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT," Shawn whisper yells, not wanting to attract anymore walkers. Kyleigh holds the pressure on Michael's wounds as the guys bicker back and forth. The trees shake with the occasional gust of wind, sending a chill through the group. We can't stay out here anymore. Especially now that we know humans are killing other humans.

"Shawn...I agree with you but we can't be those people that let others die. We can't let fear control us in these situations," I tell him. He stares at the passed out boy with his life in our hands, contemplating what we do. He's wasting time we don't have.

"Shawn I'm sorry but we can't wait for you to help us," Kyleigh says, tightening the bandages.

"How are we going to get him all the way over here?," I ask, pointing to the map," We can use the landmarks to get to them but we aren't strong enough to carry someone that far," I point out. Niall and Shawn stand above us, thinking of our limited options.

"What if we grab a car from the street, we can put it in neutral and push him down the road, Kyleigh can stay inside holding pressure on his side," Shawn says, sounding hesitant about the idea. We all look at each other knowing this is the only way. A flicker of hope spreads through us, when the boy groans.

"Michael, we are here too help. We are bringing you to your friends, can you walk for us?" Niall asks. He goes in and out of consciousness. That's a no. A walker comes out of the trees, reminding us of our vulnerability. Niall runs over, knocking him down as Kyleigh and I look at the red headed man.

"We can't wait any longer let's go," I tell them. The guys grab his top and bottom half, carrying him through the trees. Kyleigh and I stand in front of them, leading our way out of the woods. The branches crushing under our feet alert the walkers in our area.

"The road should be up ahead," Niall says, his words straining from carrying the dead weight. The sun starts coming up a little over the horizon making it easier to see. A walker comes popping out behind some shrubbery, grabbing Shawn's arm. Kyleigh runs over, connecting her blade with the back of its skull. Michael better make it for all the trouble we are going through.

"There's a car up ahead," Shawn says, walking faster with Niall. Kyleigh and I run ahead, smashing the window to unlock the backseat. I go into the glove compartment and almost cry at the sight of a small sewing kit. I fumble with bloody hands seeing if what I need is inside.

"Guys, I can try and use this," I tell them, as they place him into the back seat. They notice the kit in my hand and silently cheer at our small wins.

"Do you know how to stitch someone up?" Niall asks concerned.

"I watched like five seasons of Grey's Anatomy...and I embroidered a bit," I say, as Shawn hot wires the car.

"How does he know how to do that?" Kyleigh asks, getting into the backseat with me. Niall runs to the back of the car and helps Shawn push it into motion. He hops into the passenger side with the map, once the car starts. Kyleigh and I look down at the bleeding and how's it's gotten worse.

She passes me the needle with the thickest thread that came with the kit. Her head turns away as I lift off the bandages. The water bottle cleared off most of the debris. I rip the bottom half of my shirt off and pass it to Kyleigh. She gives me a look as she stares down at my bare lower half.