Chapter 63: Taking Charge

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--

"Ashton?" I whisper as he lies down unconscious on a bloodied bed. Reece wipes the tears out of his eyes and shakes his boyfriend's arm. He sees me looking outside and tells me to go and that he will keep an eye on him. I thank him and run out seeing Kyleigh struggling to help Luke and Blake to their feet.

"What's going on?" I ask as Luke moves his hands away from his mouth to reveal blood. My heart drops as I hear Cora calling for her parents as she runs down the street with Thomas, "Why are you out here?" I yell as they stop to see their dads on the floor. Kyleigh and I help Luke to his feet and he looks horrified to see the kids on the streets. Blake groans from the floor as he holds onto his side. My eyes slowly move to his blood coloring his shirt a dark crimson. I bend down and pull it to the side seeing a small slice that had to be made from a knife. I put my hand on his cheek and his nose twitches at the contact. I turn and Kyleigh says she's going to get Luke back to the infirmary. Cora helps her dad as well leaving Thomas teary-eyed behind us.

"Thomas," I whisper handing him my knife, "Get home and lock the door like I said," telling him as Blake coughs while waking up, "GO". I turn back to Blake and see Kyleigh and Reece running out to help me. I tell Reece to make sure Thomas got home safe and he runs off in the direction Thomas just took off in. Kyleigh gives me a nod and I shake my head struggling to get his body off the floor. It takes us longer to get him to a bed since he passed out again and Luke is hanging over his bed with his head in a bucket. Cora looks horrified as she sees her dad vomiting, Ashton passed out without a hand, and Blake hanging off her mom's body.

I take Blake off of Kyleigh's shoulder after clearing a bed and help to lift him up, "Blake....please," I whisper putting my hand on the top of his forehead to see if he still has a fever. Kyleigh turns to Cora and tells her to give her the brown bottle that was pushed onto the floor. She looks around and sees that most of the patients that were in here either died from it or from getting bit. She takes out two full dosages and hands me one to give to Blake.

"Blake come on just take this," I whisper as I tap his cheek to wake him up. It takes a couple moments but his eyes flutter open as he takes a deep breath, "Take this," I tell him putting the medicine into his mouth. Cora hands me a cup of water and I thank her as I tip the cup into his mouth. He groans at the first drink of liquids he has had in hours. When he finishes the water I put my hand on his cheek and he looks at me with pale lips and bloodshot eyes.

"How is he?" I ask seeing Kyleigh doing practically the same thing with Luke. Her eyes are distant as the blonde man is nonresponsive in her arms, "He's going to be okay. Should we double-dose him?" I ask as Reece walks back in. He gives me a nod to tell me that Thomas is okay and I thank him again. He sees Cora and hesitates to say anything but she stands her ground not wanting to leave.

"It's so much worse than we thought," He says as someone runs in with a bleeding side wound. I widen my eyes and Reece jumps up to help him lie down on a table. I turn back to Blake and he just gives a weak smile showing it's okay for me to leave his side. I grab the leftover gauze from the cabinet and run it over seeing Reece pour some alcohol on the cut.

"What is this from?" I ask as the man stares at us working to stop the bleeding. He doesn't say anything so Reece holds my hands to have me stop, "What is this from?" He asks making the man grimace at the flowing blood that is coming from his side.

"He was bit," I whisper moving my hands away from him. The man tries to argue but he untimely starts crying at the thought of what comes next. He starts begging for his life as Reece backs away. He takes the knife in his hands and struggles to bring himself to end the poor man's life. I take it from him and tell him to block Cora's view before saying "I'm sorry" and bringing the blade down on the man's skull. I put the sheet over his body and turn around to shut the curtain around his area. When I walk back out I see Kyleigh's eyes stuck on Luke as his breathing becomes regulated.