Chapter 33: Manhattan

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

"Woah, this neighborhood is insane," Calum comments with wide eyes as we turn down a random street.

I look around at all the houses, or more like mansions, and I would be lying if I didn't say it is incredibly nice. Just from looking down the street, you wouldn't even know an apocalypse was happening. I look at the map, trying to figure out where we are. We have been aimlessly walking for a little bit, trying to distance ourselves from the hoard. 

"We're in Manhattan now," I comment once I pinpoint our location.

"Manhattan? That's wild," Erica replies, glancing down at the map in my hands.

"That makes sense. It's clear that we are in a wealthy part of New York," Jared says.

"Every part of New York is wealthy," Jensen says with a laugh.

"That's true, but you know what I mean. I used to dream of moving to Manhattan, but I never thought I would be able to afford it," Jared replies.

"Well, now you can," I smile, "I say we stop here for the night. What do you all think?"

"I agree. We should find two houses and make sure they're cleared out. We'll stay here for the next few days, scout out the area, try to find a water source, see if we can make a stable base. Then we'll decide what we want to do," Luke states.

"Sounds like a plan," Erica replies.

We continue walking down the street until the ten of us pick two houses next to each other.

"How do we want to split up?" I ask.

"We can check out this house," Abigail offers, gesturing to the house on the left.

"Posey and I will go with them," Dylan adds.

"Okay, cool. Stay safe. We'll be right next door if anything bad goes down," I say as we start to split up.

"Got it. You guys stay safe, too," Abigail replies.

Abigail, Jared, Jensen, Posey, and Dylan make their way to the first house, while Luke, Calum, Erica, Ashton, and I head to the other one.

We walk up the few steps and Luke pushes on the door. It opens with ease, which is either a good or terrible sign. We all stay quiet as we creep inside. There's enough light coming through the windows to illuminate the rooms, which is helpful. Luke motions that he and I will check upstairs while the other three stay on the main floor. Everyone silently nods in agreement and Luke and I start going up the stairs.

I grip my knife tightly as we start scanning the floor. I'm impressed as everything seems relatively untouched. There are three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and two spare rooms on the top floor. It feels like forever until we finally check all the rooms, but I also can't help but feel like we hit the jackpot with this place.

"This place is beautiful," I comment once we secure the top floor.

"It is. I could definitely get used to living here," Luke agrees.

We walk back downstairs and see the other three casually talking.

"Are we good down here?" I ask.

"Yeah. We found one zombie, but we took care of it," Calum replies.

"How was upstairs?" Erica questions.

"It's really nice. There are enough bedrooms, and we can each have our own bathroom," Luke informs them.

"That's so dope," Ashton grins.

"Did you guys call dibs on a room?" Calum asks.

"Nah, we thought you guys should have the first pick. Couple seniority and all that," I reply.

Erica laughs and rolls her eyes, "How thoughtful."

We all go back upstairs so they can see the area. Erica and Calum pick the largest room with a view of the back of the house. Ashton picks the room right next to them, while Luke and I get a room down the hall that has a view of the street.

"We should go check on the other group," Ashton suggests after a few minutes.

We all agree and head over to the house next door. We open the front door and see Abigail, Jared, and Posey talking in the living room.

"Hey, everything all good over here?" Luke asks.

"Yup. This place is great," Jared happily responds, "What about over there?"

"It's perfect," Ashton replies.

"Where are the other two?" Erica asks as she takes a seat next to Posey.

"Dylan and Jensen both decided to take a nap as soon as we chose rooms," Abigail laughs.

"Can't blame them. I could use a nap right now," I respond.

"We should all relax tonight, and we'll start exploring the area tomorrow. We did a lot of walking the last few days," Luke comments as we both sit down on the couch.

"Way ahead of you, dude," Calum responds as he leans back and places his feet on the coffee table, causing the group to laugh.

"Oh, we also found these. They'll be helpful for when it gets cold," Jared says, before lifting the top of an ottoman, revealing several fluffy blankets.

"That's it. I love this place," Erica laughs as she gestures for Jared to hand her one. Jared also hands one to me and I immediately place it over Luke and me.

"Oh my God, they're so soft," I say, almost wanting to cry at how nice they are.

"If we plan to stay here, we should start building a defense system as soon as possible. With a house this big, there are a lot of entrances, which means more access points for people - living or dead - to enter," Posey says.

I'm slightly surprised to hear how serious his tone is, but then I remember he was basically a soldier when he was working for Harry.

"Smart thinking," Luke says, sounding impressed, "We should split up tomorrow. Half of us can work on creating a safer and more secure base, and the other half can look for a water source."

"Is it smart for us to keep splitting up?" Abigail asks with a raised eyebrow.

"The group that looks for water and supplies will stay close. We don't want to have to travel 30 minutes every time we need water anyway, so it makes sense we won't travel far," I reply, and Abigail nods.

"We can assign roles and all that tomorrow. But first things first, what's for dinner? I'm starving," Calum speaks up.

Erica laughs and grabs her bag which has the food.

She unzips it, picks up a few cans, and holds them up for us to see, "We have beans, and we have...spam."

Everyone gives her a blank look and she immediately puts the spam away before starting to pass the beans around, "Beans it is."

Night of the Living Bitches - 5sosजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें