Chapter 11: The Barn

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Erica's POV-
"Why do you want me to come? Won't I just slow you down?" I ask, as Michael and Calum pull their map out. Luke walks back into the room with their backpacks, tossing them onto the couch. The guys explain the plan one more time, making me recite it back to them.

"You need to start scavenging with us. Kyleigh is still feeling out of it and Ashton volunteered to stay back with Niall," Calum tells me. He gives me a small smile, nudging his foot with mine.

"When do we leave?" I ask.

"Now, get you shit packed. We are loosing daylight," Luke says, looked exhausted. I shoot Michael a quick look and he just shrugs it off. I'm a little nervous to be venturing outside of the perimeter of the house since Shawn's death. Calum noticed my apprehension towards leaving the house and is now forcing me to. Honestly, I'm thankful he is but on the other hand I prefer gardening and going to the creek. The creek is a little ways away but its a walk I've become familiar with.

I go to check on Kyleigh but Luke just tells me she's sleeping and to let her rest. How does he know? and why does he care? She's MY bestfriend after all. Ashton and Niall wave us goodbye as we get to the end of the driveway. Calum hangs back with me as Michael and Luke trail ahead..

"You okay?" he whispers, throwing his arm around my shoulders. I reach up to hold his hand, trying not to think about the danger. He gives me a reassuring squeeze, instantly calming my nerves. It makes me nervous how fast I've become close with him. We stay up most nights on the walkie talkies talking from house to house. Sometimes he sneaks in through the window of my room and I sneak into his. Most of the time he tells me hes coming to me because he doesn't want me getting hurt. Kyleigh and I decided we can have our own rooms since we are settling down for a little bit.

I look up from the ground and see us walking in the direction of the creek," I thought we were going to the farm today?" I ask, confused as to why we are going this way. Luke looks at me annoyed, taking his knife out.

"Did you not listen when we said there were hoards up ahead and we were gonna track through the woods?" he asks, pointing his knife in my direction. Calum moves in front of me, telling Luke to fuck off. I follow behind the boys, keeping a short distance not wanting to get lost in the woods. I recognize a stump in the clearing and realize we are near where we found Michael. He glances back at me with a look telling me he realized too.

"How are your stiches?" I ask, when Calum holds his arm out to stop me. I look in the direction they are intensely gazing to see a small group of walkers. I pull my knife out following their lead. Luke and Michael connect their blades with the brains of the two, alerting the rest of the hoard. Calum kicks one of them into a tree next to me, giving me the perfect opportunity. When I look back up there is one right behind Michael that grabs his arm. Luke swiftly takes out the threat, wiping the blood on his pants. I grimace at the sight, taking a sip of my water before we start moving again.

"Like I said we are a dream team," Calum whispers in my ear as we start walking again. Michael smirks at us when he turns around.

"Also, to answer your question my stiches are fine. I still have no idea how you managed to do that,' He says with a slight laugh. Calum and Michael quietly talk about what they hope to find as Luke barrels ahead. I jog to catch up with Luke, getting a weird side glance from him.

"How did you sleep?" I ask, playing with the hem of my shirt.

"Why are you asking?"

"Lucas, whether you like it or not we are going to become friends," I tell him. He rolls his eyes trudging forward as I smack my face into a branch. I hear him laughing ahead of me as we make it out of the wooded area. A large barn with red faded paint sticks out in the yellow and beige field surrounding it. Michael and I jog through the field, playing with the tall grass as Calum and Luke catch up.