THE BIGGEST OPPORTUNITY OF YOUR LIFE

It was on my very last night in Dubai when Luiz came banging on my door, a little after 6pm, scaring me half to death. I honestly wondered what the hell was going on since I was getting ready to head out for dinner. He ran into the room and sat on my bed with this excited, panicked expression and I had no idea why. "Joy, I know why the French Fashion Federation want to see you." he said with a sense of importance. I wandered over and sat on the couch opposite the bed and looked at him, waiting for him to tell me. "So. Paris Fashion Week is holding a massive anniversary showcase next year, the first show of fashion week. It will literally be the biggest, most elaborate show ever, with the absolute who's who of fashion - like a tribute to the world's most famous designers." he said. I was just looking at him. He was talking fast like he was excited, but also with a strange kind of terror-like disbelief. "I'm talking designers are designing collections exclusively for this show. THE designers... Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Dolce & Gabbana, Balmain... anyone who's anyone. It's going to be the biggest event in fashion of the century if not forever and the world's most famous models are all being asked to sign up now." he added.
"Do you think they might ask me to walk in it?" I asked with wide-eyes. I mean, surely they wouldn't since there were way bigger names out there, much more famous models than me... I knew how big of a deal it would be to be cast in this runway show just by the way Luiz was talking about it though. The exposure would be insane. It would also explain why Luiz looked as if he was about to faint.
"Joy... I'm pretty sure they're going to ask you to open it." he said staring dead at me. I just looked at him blankly. He had to be wrong, right? Of all the models in the world, why would they want me to open their show? Surely that would be reserved for someone at the top of their game, someone absolutely dominating the modelling world? "Joy do you understand what I'm saying to you? They want you to open the biggest runway show the fashion world has ever seen. It's literally one of the biggest modelling gigs anyone will ever be given." he said. I just stared at him, still perplexed. "The exposure this will give you..." he added. I almost felt like I had imagined everything he had just said. I couldn't fathom what he was saying to me. "Joy... this is going to make your career. You'll be skyrocketed to supermodel status - like total superstardom." he said. I just sat there. I didn't know what to say. I almost felt sick. Now I knew why Luiz looked so light-headed when he was telling me and why he'd banged on my door like the hotel was burning down. "Why would they want me though?" I asked.
"Look, I don't really know why they've chosen you, but apparently someone high up really loves you." he replied. "Joy, you're literally going to be one of the biggest names in the modelling world after this." he said. I just sat there staring at him. I was still in total disbelief.
"I don't know what to say." I replied.
"Don't say anything, just absorb. Call Oli and tell him the news, take some deep breaths, then let's meet at 7 for dinner." he said. I nodded and he let himself out.

I just sat there in my room in silence for a few minutes. I couldn't really believe it, it just seemed too crazy. I couldn't understand why anyone would apparently like me more than the super famous models in the world, or why people of their calibre trusted me to take on such a big responsibility. Was I being pranked? I video called Oli and he was on the couch with the dogs watching the news looking relaxed and comfy. "Are you Ok?" he asked immediately, obviously seeing the look of shocked confusion on my face. I said yes and repeated everything Luiz had just told me before staring at him through the phone. Oli had sat up during my speech and was looking at me with wide eyes as I finished talking. "I'm kind of speechless." I said. Oli stood up and appeared to be pacing around the house.
"Oh my God. This is... this is huge! I'm so fucking proud of you!" he said, sitting back down on the couch with a huge smile on his face. "You're so amazing, I can't even.... I'm so happy for you, Joy. You deserve this, you deserve absolutely everything!" he added with an insane amount of enthusiasm.
"Babe, are you crying?!" I asked, as I noticed his eyes looking kind of watery.
"I'm just proud of you. You've come so far." he said as he laughed at himself. I loved that he was so happy for me and wanted to celebrate my successes with me so much, and that he was so invested in my career.
"Oh my god. You're so cute. I wish I was there." I said. "I shouldn't get too excited yet though, right? I mean, Luiz could be wrong." I asked, the doubt suddenly starting to creep in.
"When has Luiz ever been wrong?" Oli asked. "You're fucking amazing and they'd be stupid NOT to ask you." he added. He was right about Luiz never being wrong and his compliment made me want to squeeze him, even though I couldn't. We talked about the huge news among other things for an hour and I showed him the sunset from my balcony as the day disappeared. He hadn't been to Dubai so I promised the next time I was invited there that I would bring him with me. We said goodbye after a really nice, long talk and I got myself ready for dinner.