GREEN DAY

It was Friday night and I was meeting Oli and his friends at a pub close to the venue where Green Day were playing their London show. I threw together an outfit that felt appropriate for drinks and a concert; black denim shorts, thigh-high boots, a leather jacket and for brownie points; one of the Drop Dead shirts that Oli had given me. I headed out the door at 7:30pm to take the tube to the other side of town where we'd planned to meet, excited to actually be going out.

When I arrived, the pub was absolutely packed but I flashed my ID and stuffed it back into my bag as I walked toward the bar. I wondered how the hell was I going to find Oli in there. "Joy!" someone exclaimed within ear shot of me. I looked down the bar and recognised Oli's brother  who had been at the audition last month, waving at me with a smile. I was glad that he'd recognised me and I headed straight to him. "How are you?" he asked as I approached. "Sorry, I should introduce myself. I'm Tom. I was at your Drop Dead audition." he quickly added. I chuckled and happily greeted him, relieved that I now didn't have to search for Oli and whoever he was with. He ordered four beers and asked me what I wanted to drink. "Vodka soda, please." I said loudly over the music to the bartender. "Nice shirt." he said with a smile, clearly noticing the drop dead design. "Oh thanks, it's pretty cool, right?" I replied with a laugh. We talked about the Green Day concert, music and bands - making conversation as we waited for our drinks to be ready and I pulled out my card as mine arrived, but Tom pushed it away. "I've got it." he said kindly. I thanked him straight away and he laughed. "Thank my brother, it's his card." he laughed again.
"Oh!" I said laughing along. "He trusts you with his card?" I chuckled, making a joke.
"Yeah because he's lazy and doesn't want to come to the bar himself." he replied in amusement. "Nah, if he comes to the bar someone might recognise him so he sends me." he explained. It  made sense. I picked up the fourth pint of beer seeing as there was no way Tom would be able to manage all of them, and I followed him toward the back of the pub with my vodka in the other hand.

Up in the far back corner, Oli sat on a stool around a bar table with five friends; three guys and two girls. I recognised the guys from Reading festival, but I hadn't seen the girls before. I really hoped they wouldn't hate me! "Everyone, this is Joy." Tom said, placing his beers down on the table as we arrived.
"Hello." I said semi-awkwardly with a tiny smile. I held Oli's stare for a moment and smiled. I couldn't help but notice that he was wearing a beanie and jumper. That seemed strange since it really wasn't that cold inside the pub. "Micky," the guy closest to me said sticking out his hand in an introductory handshake. "So this is Micky..." Tom said as he started introducing me to everyone around the table. "Then we have Jordan, Oli - you obviously know, Lee, Dani and Emma." he added, finishing the introductions. I said hello to everyone and joked that I would probably forget, but would get it right by the end of the night. The girl next to Tom, named Emma was staring at me and I felt so awkward when she caught me noticing. "My God." she said, "You are absolutely gorgeous." she added with a smile. I felt my cheeks go warm.
"Oh, uh, thanks." I said awkwardly at the compliment. She tapped the bar stool next to her so I went around Tom and sat next to her, going along with it. "You have such an amazing name!" the other girl said as she leant over Emma to speak to me. I laughed and thanked her then told her the story of how my parents named me and they both let out an 'aww'. "I'm Dani by the way, in case you already forgot." she said with a cheeky smile. I could already tell that they weren't going to ignore me or treat me like shit and that was a huge relief. The boys were chatting and laughing amongst themselves while Emma and Dani were asking me a tonne of questions. To be honest, it was nice that they were so friendly and welcoming, sometimes girls hate me based solely on the way I look. I chatted to the girls and sipped my vodka until there was only ice left in the glass. Time to excuse myself for a refill. "I'm just going to grab another drink." I said to them as I stood up and wandered away.