DISTANCE

After cruising through the morning, I headed to Bryant Park to meet Luiz for my first runway show of New York Fashion Week at 11am. I had the excited nerves I always did before a big event, but I felt more relaxed than usual. Maybe I could thank Oli for that, lol. Luiz was waiting for me at the model check-in area and he greeted me with a hug.

"I can see it from a mile away. You've had a good night, haven't you?" he asked. What the hell? How could he tell?
"What do you mean?" I asked with a smile.
"It's written all over your face... and I know you had Oli Sykes sleeping over at your apartment." he replied with attitude. I tried not to smile, but I couldn't help it.
"Luiz, I hate to admit it, but you know me too well." I said. "We went to a party and he punched my ex – long story – so we went home early and yes, we may have had some... fun." I explained, blushing with a laugh. He laughed at the way I described it.
"Just fun? Or is this something I'm going to need to hide from the press?" he asked.
"Nothing to hide, not yet anyway." I replied as we started walking toward the show tents. I thought about that for a moment, but really, I wouldn't care about hiding it anyway, unless Oli wanted to keep our friendship/relationship/whatever it was under wraps.
"Not yet?" he questioned.
"We'll see what happens." I replied with a shrug.

My first runway was for Michael Kors and it was likely to be a pretty big show. I'd done a campaign for the brand earlier in the year so was absolutely ecstatic to be chosen to close the show in the show-stopping gown. It was such a huge honour and was a great boost to my credentials. Later that afternoon I was walking another show then heading to an industry party with Behati. It was one of the biggest parties of the week, and it always attracted all of the biggest names from all around the world. I'd picked out the sexiest little black dress for the party; it almost borderline wardrobe malfunction with the length, and I was teaming it with a pair of racy, bright red heels.

The runway show was a lot of fun as usual; hair and makeup, fitting, lots of hyping everyone up and then the adrenaline-filled walk itself; where I usually managed to block out all thought and just stare toward the end of the runway. The walk finished with a pause, turn and a blinding amount of flashes going off in my face, then the walk back to the start. It was then the final walk through where I got to walk with the designer, and then lots of celebrating and lots of photos backstage. There were always lots of media and celebrities to meet before I got to change back into my own clothes and head back home – or to another runway, but I expected nothing less. On that day, I was heading to another runway that panned out in pretty much the exact same as the first, except that the makeup was much stranger. I snapped a quick, sneaky photo and sent it to Oli with a 'lol' and he replied saying I looked 'weird but gorgeous'. Ugh, his compliments made me feel so good.

When I headed backstage at the second show, I did the usual 'pose for photos and chat to celebrities in the outfit', you know... mingling, selling the clothes, networking. I was standing around with the designer, smiling and nodding along, when Skrillex appeared in front of me. I was surprised to see him there and even more surprised when he greeted me – by name. I wasn't sure if he knew my name from my work, or if he remembered me from London but I hugged him quickly anyway. "We've met before!" I stated with a laugh.
"Yeah – Oli's friend from London." he replied. What the hell? I laughed that he even remembered that night but I suppose I did DJ with him. We chatted for a while and figured out that we were both heading to the same after party, so he said we'd "catch up" there. One of the professional photographers snapped a photo of us and I told Luiz that he needed to get it for me. I wanted to send that one to Oli!

I headed back to Luiz's hotel to meet my stylist at 5pm. There wasn't much point in going home since I only had an hour to waste before she arrived, so I hung out and had a couple of glasses of wine with Luiz, and I told him more about my couple of days with Oli. He asked me when I planned on seeing him again and the answer was the same as it was to Behati; "I don't know." Luiz said he would have a look and see when I could maybe decline a couple of events to get some time off to go and visit him and I thought it was nice that he was trying to make that happen for me. The truth was, I really did want to go and see Oli again. I didn't want to have to wait for weeks and weeks to see him again.